Charging seniors during this pandemic

ShirleyKing
Grasshopper

Why is Shaw charging seniors during this pademic?  In order for family to stay in contact with our mother who is an assisted living home with no visitors, I arranged to get internet added to her current Shaw services so we could facetime her.  It turns out we have to pay twice as much as her other services for the internet?  This is a 92 year old that doesn't even know what the internet is.  The only way she can actually have the facetime is if the family member phones on the regular phone and coaches her how to push the button on the Ipad that I had to buy for her to do this.  She may have a facetime call once every couple of weeks so the usage on the internet is almost nil.  I would have thought that Shaw may have offered this service to the seniors at this time as they are the only ones who are being imprisoned in their own homes without any contact from loved ones.  Shaw opened up their hotspots to the general public but want to gouge the seniors?  Shame on Shaw.  Also their billing system sucks.  I have to manage my mothers, mother-in-laws's accounts but can only have one email so can't manage both?  To top it off Shaw made me put the internet for my mother in my name (creating another a

0 Kudos
6 Replies

-- our mother who is an assisted living home  Does that h...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ShirleyKing -- our mother who is an assisted living home 

Does that home have its own WiFi, or do they have a Shaw Go WiFi access-point in the building?

Can the home contact Shaw Business, and apply to get a Shaw Go WiFi access installed ?

See another posting on this forum, for information supplied by @rstra about a "bundle" price for "Internet 25" plus TV.

> I have to manage my mothers, mother-in-laws's accounts but can only have one email so can't manage both? 

Huh? You can create one Shaw ID for each separate account that you have with Shaw. Different account number --> different Shaw ID.

Also, Shaw Internet customers can have multiple E-mail IDs, e.g., "Internet 300" subscribers are allowed to have 10 E-mail IDs.

There are less expensive options than Shaw when it comes...

rstra
Grand Master

There are less expensive options than Shaw when it comes to Internet, shop around.

Hi  very sorry to hear of you and your mother's circumsta...

g-idk
Master

Hi @ShirleyKing very sorry to hear of you and your mother's circumstance, I wish her well.  But I have to ask were you not told when you signed up for this internet that you would be charged for it and the amount you would be paying before you agreed to anything?  Did they not give you options on different plans available with different prices?  I don't understand how you would have thought that this service would be free.  Please don't get me wrong these are terrible times we are having and I wish such a deal was possible but it just is not feasible.  Please wish you mom well and I hope that things improve for you on this matter.  @mdk  and @rstra have some good points maybe for you to follow on this thread.  

0 Kudos

-- I would have thought that Shaw may have offered this s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ShirleyKing -- I would have thought that Shaw may have offered this service to the seniors at this time

Shaw does, in a way.

If there is a Shaw Go WiFi setup inside the building, Shaw has created the "ShawGo" WiFi network that is completely open, and free, to anybody with a WiFi device, such as an iPad -- you do not need to be a Shaw customer to connect to this network. Your mother's iPad just has to be close-enough to the Shaw hardware to get good signal-strength.

are there shaw packages for low income seniors

dennis32
Grasshopper

are there shaw packages for low income seniors

0 Kudos

For internet, Shaw participates in the government Connect...

rstra
Grand Master

@dennis32 

For internet, Shaw participates in the government Connecting Families program. 

https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/connecting-families/en

For TV, Shaw has the Limited TV package. 

0 Kudos