Direct Debit vs Credit Card

Ppecek
Grasshopper

I have recently switched the Auto-payments to the CIBC Bank account. I have got today an Alert from Equifax that there is a suspicion about the account being on underground Web Sites. I have immediately switch back the Auto-payments back to Credit Card. The question is that your business is not save and someone in Shaw is giving out information about the Bank Accounts. I think you should investigate this. This incident will be reported to the police to protect us.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- Alert from Equifax that there is a suspicion about the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ppecek -- Alert from Equifax that there is a suspicion about the account being on underground Web Sites.

You should immediately call the 1-800 number on the back of your bank-card, to tell CIBC. They will issue a new bank-card, and give you advice on what else to do.

> The question is that your business is not save [safe?] and someone in Shaw is giving out information about the Bank Accounts.

My question is how can you tell that it was Shaw, and that it was not any other business where your swiped/tapped your bank-card?

> This incident will be reported to the police to protect us.

Yes, you should, but first contact CIBC.

In the news this week, the CRA has "locked" some peoples' accounts, under suspicion of a possible security-breach. The claim is that the people used the same credentials on other web-sites, and the CRA is suspecting a compromise of one of those other web-sites, which could extend to misuse of the "stolen" credentials on the CRA web-site.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your comment. The account is my wife's. She ne...

Ppecek
Grasshopper

Thanks for your comment. The account is my wife's. She never TAPS her card anywhere, but yes, she swipes - throughout 2020 till now, she shops very little due to the Covid. So I mostly do all shopping. However, I agree that the account may be stolen by swiping any card, if there is a reader installed. However it is very coincidental, that the Equifax report came very shortly after I put the card on Shaw as a direct payment.

It cannot be proven and also from one angle, the Shaw Account is in my name and there is no association with her card number or her name, so it may be pretty hard to misuse it, I think.

We have called CIBC and they did not appear to be worried about issuing a new card.

I will pass this by Equifax also.

Thx PP

0 Kudos

-- However it is very coincidental, that the Equifax repo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ppecek -- However it is very coincidental, that the Equifax report came very shortly after I put the card on Shaw as a direct payment. It cannot be proven ...

Yes, a statistician would say that correlation does not imply causality.

> We have called CIBC and they did not appear to be worried about issuing a new card.

Yuk!  I am glad that I am not a customer of that bank. Is it time for you to change banks?

For my own peace-of-mind, I would insist that a new bank-card be issued, and that the current bank-card be deactivated. This can be done at any branch, in person.

Also, you should take some time to read a few items on their web-site: https://www.cibc.com/en/search-results.html?qt=fraud

and then add some monitoring to that bank-card, e.g., to receive a text-message when it is used for over an amount, e.g., $100.

P.S. Scammers are hard-working. They could have tried "brute-force" -- trying card-numbers and PINs until they find one that is correct.  In this case, your bank-card has stayed in your possession -- nowhere near the scammer.  Or, the same technology that allows a "tap" could be exploited by a scammer who stood near your spouse, and electronically "skimmed" the bank-card.

0 Kudos