Why can I not obtain a promised refund?

Prisca1
Grasshopper

I went at least six months during 2020 without service, during which time Shaw continued to bill me, deaf and blind to my complaints made through all the channels open to me. Of those months, I paid for May, June and July, in return for nothing at all. Foolishly, as it turned out, I did not stop my automatic payments. There was an eventual apology for the gross negligence which I suffered, but still no service materialised.

In despair, I closed my account: in that conversation, with an individual with a well-nigh impenetrable foreign accent, I was promised a full refund for the months when I paid for nothing. A full calendar year later, after I’ve attempted once more to obtain proper customer service via Chat, still no refund has materialised. There is no recourse: apparently nobody at the Shaw end actually reads the record, or is trained to think. It is almost as though the people were carefully trained to be maximally obstructive, and to maximise the profits however dishonestly made.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion (and sometimes...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Prisca1 -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion (and sometimes "gripes") board. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

While reading this reply, scroll-down to see the "Your Voice" hyperlink, and submit your message directly to Shaw.

0 Kudos

I realise that this is not a path to Shaw support. One re...

Prisca1
Grasshopper

I realise that this is not a path to Shaw support. One reason why that is so is that in practice there IS no Shaw support. One works hard, spending time & energy, but there are no sentient human beings at the other end.

0 Kudos

-- there are no sentient human beings at the other end Wo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Prisca1 -- there are no sentient human beings at the other end

Would you make that inappropriate comment when face-to-face to a Shaw employee?

0 Kudos

did you manage to get refund your money and or file small...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

did you manage to get refund your money and or file small claims,  don't listen to mdk, 

0 Kudos

First, the comment is not inappropriate in the light of m...

Prisca1
Grasshopper

First, the comment is not inappropriate in the light of my experience. For sixteen months or so I've been getting the electronic runaround. What I say or write is simply ignored or met with impersonal boilerplate.

Secondly, if I met a sentient Shaw employee in person, my verdict would depend on that individual's treatment of me. Shaw owes me money. When that is coughed up, the matter will be resolved.

This is my note to Shaw dated Aug. 2nd 2020:--

1. You discontinued support for my cable box without a word to me, causing me weeks of struggle.
  2. You involved me in detailed correspondence about the lack of a signal.
  3. You eventually supplied a faulty refurbished replacement which would not activate.
  4. You still wanted me to pay for a signal which you had not supplied for those weeks.
  5. You promised an immediate replacement and return labels for the faulty one.
  6. The faulty box has still not itself been replaced after weeks of waiting.
  7. Again I have been involved in detailed correspondence with you, necessitating the repet­ition of information that you ought to have on file. And there are still no return labels.
  8. My on-line account details show that you imagine that I owe you money for two months.

There was no response at all.
0 Kudos

No, no refund so far. Small claims court is not worthwhil...

Prisca1
Grasshopper

No, no refund so far. Small claims court is not worthwhile for so little money, but at least I'm registering my protest!

A basic difficulty with Shaw is the lack of continuity. My latest foray into Chat involved dealing with someone who simply refused to look at the record showing how long I continued to pay while receiving no service.

0 Kudos

wow just wow, glad i'm not their customers darn crooks....

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

wow just wow, glad i'm not their customers darn crooks.  no more pennies be spend to these jerks.  sorry i hope you get it resolved

0 Kudos