Jump to solution

Call forwarding fixed: how to disable single ring?

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

I don't want the phone to ring when an incoming call is received and then forwarded to the designated phone number.

How do you disable and enable this feature so the original dialed number which is forwarded doesn't ring to indicate that it's being forwarded?  For example. Landline number xxx-xxx-1235 is being forwarded to xxx-xxx-7888. The physical phone on 1235 will ring once on the telephone (hardware) while it's being transferred to 7888. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I don’t think there is an option to disable that single r...

rstra
Grand Master

@Upfront6891 I don’t think there is an option to disable that single ring, other than turning off the ringer in the phone. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jump to solution

-- are you using an old-style mechanical telephone, such...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Upfront6891 -- are you using an old-style mechanical telephone, such as what Arthur Fonzarelli would use, that rings once? Most modern electronic telephones "hide" the first ring, because the Caller-ID information follows that first ring. So, the first ring that you hear on an electronic telephone really is the second ring, and it displays the Caller-ID information.  That "old-style" telephone has no programmability -- no way to set it to "hide" that first ring.

P.S. Don't believe anything you read on the Internet about the [alleged] death of Henry Winkler -- https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/henry-winkler-death/

I think that some automated dialer systems send "one ring" to my telephone-number, to confirm that my number is valid.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don’t think there is an option to disable that single r...

rstra
Grand Master

@Upfront6891 I don’t think there is an option to disable that single ring, other than turning off the ringer in the phone. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

We use a modern phone, you know the type where the ringer...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

@mdk @rstra 

We use a modern phone, you know the type where the ringer sounds like a blast from Battle Star Galactica or in modern-day, an electronic ringer.

With Telus or was it another provider, or even Shaw in the early days,I can't recall which but there was this option. It was similar to a DND feature but will still forward your calls. The intent of the single ring as I was told is so if you're home and you have forgotten to turn off call forwarding this brief ring would indicate that you're receiving an incoming call and it's being forwarded. Never ever was or is there any CID information on the original phone when the call is being transferred.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help