Conference Calls to the USA

RD999
Grasshopper

I am trying to dial the phone number 605 475 6333 which is a conference call line which I believe is in South Dakota. I can call the number fine from sasktel and bell mobility. Shaw agent told me it's not possible to dial this type of a number with Shaw Home services. Can you confirm and explain why. It's not a 1-900 number or something like that.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

-- I did try to call that number, and also got an "interc...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RD999 -- I did try to call that number, and also got an "intercept".

I tried 1-605-555-1212, and Shaw's "Directory Services" intercepted the "555-1212" number -- it is a "reserved" number.

I did a Google-search for a very-similar number: 605-475-5900, and the web-page referenced a person in St. Louis, Missouri.

I did a search for 1-605-475-5800, and the web-page referenced a person in Pensecola, Florida.

I did a search for 1-605-475-6700, and the web-page referenced a person in Charlotte, North Carolina.

I am thinking that the "475" exchange is dedicated to some "Voice-Over-IP" provider, and is being used by "snow-birds" -- people who live in South Dakota, but spend their winters in a warmer climate. These people give a "local" number to their friends in South Dakota.

So, it is possible that the assignee of "6333" has allowed their VOIP contract to lapse, giving an "unable to connect" intercept.

Some local independent US rural exchanges are teaming up...

rstra
Grand Master

Some local independent US rural exchanges are teaming up with companies that offer free calling services to increase call volume and allow these companies to charge more for termination fees. It is likely that Shaw’s long distance provider is blocking access for this reason. The practice is referred to as traffic pumping, see this link for more info https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_pumping

You only option may be to use a calling card to access that service.

So would it make sense that I can call the number without...

RD999
Grasshopper

So would it make sense that I can call the number without issue from two different cellular providers?  Is this just a VOIP issue?  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Some carriers restrict access, others do not.

rstra
Grand Master

Some carriers restrict access, others do not. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help