Porting a phone number

Ungoodcamper
Grasshopper

This was my parents (93 & 95 years of age) first day as Shaw customers. They got internet, TV and a phone number that is unusable for 3-5 days. Shaw hooked up the phone switch to do the port, which is 3-5 days away, then promptly turned their phone off. I've been in the "Live Chat" and then on to a live person and I was told the screwup needs to be fixed by the people my parents have just left. 

Is this the service they can look forward to? Shaw poops the bed, admits it's their fault, then tells me it can't be fixed unless the ex-service providers come by and repair it. That's right, someone else has to come and undo this mess. So my parents need to make sure they have no emergencies for the next week? No calls from the doctor? No calls from any of their support network? Maybe one of you mods can explain why you can't un-screw this after screwing it fully? And how, if they can't be touching the "other guy's" work, how they managed to install this "port switch" without touching the "other guy's" gear? And if, somehow, they can't be touching then how is the "other guy" supposed to fix it, because, you know, no touching.  

They were warned about this, but they wanted a change so here we are. I guess they can expect more of this as the account ages, maybe someone at Shaw can address this, but on the first day all the ducks get lined up and run neatly over. 

Someone with a Shaw ID # have anything to add? This is an egregious course of events, how do you leave two people with no phone for nearly a week and just say "sorry, not my problem?" 

Appalling, 

Labels (1)
5 Replies

Thanks for sharing the phone porting experience. Please n...

shaw-daniel

@Ungoodcamper Thanks for sharing the phone porting experience. Please note that this post is answered by peers instead of trained Shaw technical or account support. Please reach out to our account or technical support for the status of the phone porting on this page or call our toll-free number 1-888-472-2222.

0 Kudos

-- And how, if they can't be touching the "other guy's" w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ungoodcamper -- And how, if they can't be touching the "other guy's" work, how they managed to install this "port switch" without touching the "other guy's" gear? 

When you dial any number, there is a central database that define how the call will be routed, e.g., through Telus network to the phone-jack in your wall, or through the Shaw network, into the Shaw Phone adapter box in your home.

So, there is no physical "touching" of the provider's infrastructure -- the "porting" is just a change to that database, and a change, in this case, to Shaw's database, to route the call to your Shaw Phone adapter, not somebody else's adapter, and not to a recording "this number is not in service".

In my case, a few years ago, the "porting" was immediate. All I did was to unplug my telephone from the Telus wall-jack to connect to the Shaw Phone adapter, after the Shaw Technician called-in to make the "routing" changes.

0 Kudos

Unless a port switch is installed and the Shaw installer...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  Unless a port switch is installed and the Shaw installer installs the Shaw phone and connects to the home phone wiring, before the port is ready. Port switches are notoriously un-reliable, Shaw should have sent a technician back to reconnect the customer to their previous provider until the port is ready. 

0 Kudos

-- Port switches are notoriously unreliable Is a "port-sw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Port switches are notoriously unreliable

Is a "port-switch" a mechanical/electronic device, or is a "port-switch" an action to electronically reroute a telephone-number from one provider (such as Telus) to another provider (such as Shaw Home or Shaw Mobile or Bell Mobility) ? What is the "unrealiable" part? Hardware failure, or delayed rerouting of the telephone-number?

In my home, the Shaw Phone adapter was placed adjacent to the house's "telephone-wiring-block", so that all the telephone-sockets in my home remain active.  An alternative would have been to connect the Shaw Phone adapter to the coaxial-socket in one room, for it to connect to a "base-unit" telephone device that is compatible with cordless hand-sets, to locate the handsets (and their charging holders) in different rooms.

0 Kudos

If is a hardware device that will switch the premise wiri...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  If is a hardware device that will switch the premise wiring over when the port is ready, without a truck roll.

Shaw phone can be installed standalone or connected to the house phone jacks. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help