Suanne
Grasshopper

Does shaw mobile offer port protection?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- I contacted Shaw, and they can add "port protection" -...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Suanne -- I contacted Shaw, and they can add "port protection" -- namely that you will be required to contact Shaw, before any "porting-out" of your number can be started.  Contact them (currently, online-chat is preferred over telephone) to add this FREE service to your account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jump to solution

-- Does Shaw Mobile offer port protection? I am not sure...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Suanne -- Does Shaw Mobile offer port protection?

I am not sure what you mean by "port protection"?

Are you asking about unauthorized "porting" of your telephone-number to a different cellular provider?

Or, are you asking about blocking of TCP/IP "ports" (e.g., 23/Telnet, 25/SMTP, 80/HTTP) ?

Presumably, Shaw will ask you some "authentication" questions, before releasing your telephone-number to be "hijacked".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I would hope so. I googled it, but nothing came up, maybe...

rstra
Grand Master

I would hope so. I googled it, but nothing came up, maybe a @Moderator can answer the question.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I found a TELUS web-page, written by Shelly Blackburn,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Suanne -- I found a TELUS web-page, written by Shelly Blackburn, Director, TELUS Data & Trust Office

From a TELUS perspective, SIM swap support requests are no longer supported by TELUS Call Centres; instead, customers are requested to log into MyTelus, or go to a TELUS store for assistance. Additionally, when TELUS receives a request to port a mobile number to another carrier, TELUS will send an SMS notification about the request, providing customers with the opportunity to contact TELUS should the request be unauthorized. Customers can also contact TELUS (or any alternate mobile service provider) to discuss additional security controls that may be available.

So, I recommend that you contact your "alternate service provider", namely Shaw, to get an authoritative answer to your question.

The TELUS "security" web-site states:

The SMS text will read as follows: Urgent Message from TELUS: We just received a request to cancel your mobile account, and transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. If you didn't request this transfer, please call 1-877-868-3587 immediately, to stop the transfer.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I contacted Shaw, and they can add "port protection" -...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Suanne -- I contacted Shaw, and they can add "port protection" -- namely that you will be required to contact Shaw, before any "porting-out" of your number can be started.  Contact them (currently, online-chat is preferred over telephone) to add this FREE service to your account.

TALK TO US
We're here to help