adding router to extend wifi coverage

vparrott
Grasshopper

We have a cat 6 jack very near where our current Shaw modem sits.  It goes back to a data rack in our garage and from there there's a cat 6 cable ran approx. 150' out to our barn where we have zero wifi.  i'm wanting to plug in a 3rd party router and antenna in the barn but keep it the same wifi address.  I'm fine with terminating the wire ends and testing the cable, but do I need to change the 3rd party router ip address to the same as the Shaw modem?  or do I have to put it in bridge mode?  or both? or both wrong? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

You could get a wireless access point and connect it to y...

rstra
Grand Master

You could get a wireless access point and connect it to your router through the existing cat 6 cable, this would extend your wifi to the barn.

0 Kudos

-- Our barn [has] zero WiFi. I am wanting to plug in a 3r...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@vparrott -- Our barn [has] zero WiFi. I am wanting to plug in a 3rd party router and antenna in the barn but keep it the same WiFi address.

I think that you are on the right track. Set the router to the same SSID as broadcast by the Shaw cable-modem. Since your WiFi "cloud" in the barn will not overlap with the "cloud" in your house, your WiFi device(s) can connect to whichever cloud it can detect.

Just connect your house-to-barn CAT-6 Ethernet cable to the WAN (or "uplink") port on the router in the barn.

If you have a BlueCurve modem, an IP-address like "10.0.0.xxx" will be assigned to the barn's router, and the router will assign IP-addresses like "192.168.xx.yy" to your devices. If you have any older cable-modem, it will assign an IP-address like "192.168.0.xxx" to your barn's router. Hopefully, your router will assign IP-addresses that do NOT start with "192.168.0" to your devices. Any other pattern, such as "192.168.123.xxx" can be used, if you configure the barn's router to NOT use the "192.168;0" range.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help