Jump to solution

AppleTV + Shaw Cable Box + Shaw modem all from one cable outlet

StevenR
Grasshopper

Hi all,

Ok so have one cable outlet on the wall, trying to tie it all in to hardware above. I have cable from wall going to modem, the network cable going from modem to AppleTV box. I have another network cable going from modem to cable box, and HDMI cable going from cable box to TV in. No good?

Or wall - cable box, then network cables from AppleTV and cable box to modem? 

I had modem in different room and AppleTV running off wifi instead of cabled in but had some lag. Can the modem work through a network cable to the cable box..? Or do I need a splitter?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Wiring issues

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I have cable from wall going to modem

Good.

> network cable going from modem to AppleTV box.

Good.

> HDMI cable going from cable box to TV-in.

Good.

> I have another network cable going from modem to cable box.

Bad. The cable-box requires a coaxial-cable going to "cable-in" on the cable-box.

So, you need a "TWO-WAY" splitter, so that "half" of the coax goes to the modem, and another "half" of the coax goes to the cable-TV box. The "TWO-WAY" is needed to "send" to the Internet, and to use "Shaw On Demand" TV.

Of course, you will need two more coaxial-cable segments, one for each "half" of the above "split".

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

Wiring issues

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I have cable from wall going to modem

Good.

> network cable going from modem to AppleTV box.

Good.

> HDMI cable going from cable box to TV-in.

Good.

> I have another network cable going from modem to cable box.

Bad. The cable-box requires a coaxial-cable going to "cable-in" on the cable-box.

So, you need a "TWO-WAY" splitter, so that "half" of the coax goes to the modem, and another "half" of the coax goes to the cable-TV box. The "TWO-WAY" is needed to "send" to the Internet, and to use "Shaw On Demand" TV.

Of course, you will need two more coaxial-cable segments, one for each "half" of the above "split".

Jump to solution

splitters can cause -9 db or worse signal loss

HardcoreGames
Grasshopper

splitters can cause -9 db or worse signal loss

Jump to solution

> splitters can cause -9 db or worse signal loss. Only sl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> splitters can cause -9 db or worse signal loss.

Only slightly true, because signal-degradation - not "signal loss" -- will occur.  But, the label on the splitter shows "2.5DB", not "9.0DB".

However, given that the original questioner probably has a Shaw-supplied splitter inside the Shaw "demarcation" box on the outside of his home, with multiple "runs" of coaxial-cable terminating in several rooms in the home, having Shaw replace an "N-way" splitter by an "N-plus-one" splitter inside that Shaw box, and running a brand-new coaxial cable into the room where the two devices (cable-modem and TV-box) exist, there still will be signal-degradation.

So, it does not really matter whether the splitter is inside the Shaw box, or is in the same room as the two devices.

TALK TO US
We're here to help