-- the DHCP-protocol is designed to keep each specific de...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- the DHCP-protocol is designed to keep each specific device at the same IP-address "forever".

When your DHCP-client receives an IP-address, it also receives a "TTL" ("time to live"), allowing the device to use that IP-address for the length of the "lease". It is the responsibility of the device to issue a "renew" request to the DHCP-server when half of the lease (50%) has elapsed.

So, an example:

* your DHCP-client receives "10.0.0.88" at 1:00 PM, with a TTL of 60 minutes -- ending at 2:00 PM;

* at 1:30 PM (50% of 60 minutes later), it makes another DHCP-request, and the DHCP-server responds;

* your DHCP-client receives the same IP-address, and a TTL of 60 minutes;

* your device can now use the IP-address until 2:30 PM;

* at 2:00 PM, your DHCP-client receives a response: same IP-address and the TTL that expires at 3:00 PM.

So, as long as your device is running & connected, it will be assigned the same IP-address forever and ever. 

Thus, you really do not need to set a "static" IP-address.  Connect the device, and note its IP-address, because it will not change (until you change to a different Shaw cable-modem/router).

The DHCP-server Shaw cable-modem goes one step further: once a device connects (sending its unique MAC-address), the DHCP-server, even after an "absence" (your device is either powered-off or not connection for a long time), the DHCP-server will have "remembered" your device's MAC-address, and will return the same IP-address as was assigned a long time ago.  It has "memorized" your device's MAC-address, and will always return the same IP-address.

0 Kudos

The app is horrible and difficult to navigate, I will pok...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg  The app is horrible and difficult to navigate, I will poke around to double check.

0 Kudos

-- if your computer is "outside" of your Local Area Netwo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@winterpeg -- if your computer is "outside" of your Local Area Network, such as in a different country, your computer must connect to the "public" IP-address assigned by Shaw to the BlueCurve, and the BlueCurve must be configured to allow "remote" connections from the Internet. 

Yes, the "10.0.0.1" IP-address is a "private" IP-address, accessible only by computers "inside" your Local Area Network.

If you created "Port Forwarding" within the modem, and your specific computer is the the target of the port-forwarding rule, and the specific computer stays powered-on, and the target computer is configured to allow remote connections to be received, then you should be OK to access the target computer from anywhere on the Internet -- without ANY need to add a "static" IP-address within your L.A.N.

0 Kudos

Okay, need a little more help. Yes, my computer is "outsi...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Okay, need a little more help. Yes, my computer is "outside" of the LAN, in the USA.

How do I configure the Blue Curve to allow remote connections from the Internet?

Thanks

0 Kudos

You can’t, you need to be inside your network to configur...

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg  You can’t, you need to be inside your network to configure remote management. 

0 Kudos

Can Shae Tech Support do that if I call them and allow ac...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Can Shae Tech Support do that if I call them and allow access  to the Blue Curve Gateway? Thanks 

0 Kudos

No, you would need to wait until you get home.

rstra
Grand Master

@winterpeg  No, you would need to wait until you get home. 

0 Kudos

One more thing, on the Blue Curve app, I temporarily paus...

winterpeg
Grasshopper

One more thing, on the Blue Curve app, I temporarily paused a device with the note until I unpause it again.

The device does not show up, so how do I unpause that device? Thanks

0 Kudos

We just had a 10 minute power outage. I had my wyzecams s...

tc10
Grasshopper

We just had a 10 minute power outage. I had my wyzecams set up in Tinycam pro on my FireTV. The ip addresses are changed so I need to go back in and config each one again. It looks like I need to set the ip addresses.  Last thing we want is security cameras not working after power failure.  They came back up in the Wyzeapp as it figures it out, but Tinycam Pro on FireTV could not 'figure it out'  !!!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help