Jump to solution

assigning IPs and hostnames on the LAN side?

dmonty
Grasshopper

Shaw sent me a new Hitron CGNM-2250-SHW modem/router.   I'm having trouble using the "DHCP Reservation".  I've assigned IPs and Hostnames to the various devices around the home using the "Add" button to add them to the "reserved list".  However sometimes the modem doesn't re-assign the IP that is reserved for that device(mac address).  Not being able to consistently assign an IP is a problem e.g.:

* printer is re-assigned a new random IP and some devices cant print to it.

* media server is assigned a new random IP causing devices to not be able to connect to it.

* gaming server IP changes so port forwarding does not go to the right box.

Do I need to buy a better router/access point that will properly assign the same IP for each request/reboot?

Hardware: 1A

Software: 4.5.11.16b1

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

the functionality is limited and is out of our scope of s...

shaw-tony

@dmonty the functionality is limited and is out of our scope of support. For more advanced control, it's best to purchase a 3rd party router that can fully support those settings.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jump to solution

just to make sure the settings you have are similar to ou...

shaw-tony

@dmonty just to make sure the settings you have are similar to our page here? This is generally out of scope for support on consumer accounts. Do you ever reboot the modem or does the modem stay active and the settings do not take place? Do your devices turn off/restart, which in turn it loses the reserved IP?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes tried rebooting devices that need static IP like prin...

dmonty
Grasshopper

Yes tried rebooting devices that need static IP like printer.  Sometimes reserved dhcp works, sometimes it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

the functionality is limited and is out of our scope of s...

shaw-tony

@dmonty the functionality is limited and is out of our scope of support. For more advanced control, it's best to purchase a 3rd party router that can fully support those settings.

Jump to solution

Same issue for me. Happens every now and again and is ver...

unhappycamper
Grasshopper

Same issue for me. Happens every now and again and is very annoying when it does. Turns out that Shaw does support this, but only if you are a business customer. They looked and said that an update had been pushed to the modem but hadn't "taken." They tried to force it and things seemed to work OK for months, but it's back again.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- my HITRON modem has a good "memory".  I can leave a de...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@unhappycamper -- my HITRON modem has a good "memory".  I can leave a device powered-off for a long time (a month). When I start it up, it always seems to receive the same IP-address that it received a long time ago.

Can you change the "DHCP lease" time for your local devices to a long time, such as a month? After you do, the HITRON will use the same IP-address for your device for the month.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help