Blue Curve and Pods

rickatk
Master

Sometimes Clients and Blue Curve don't always pick the best pod or router to connect to. For the most part all my devices, after a few days, get things sorted out connecting to the best pod or router. My iPad 11 has had a challenge connecting to the correct device as I move around the house. Mainly letting go of the slower pod when I am back in the main room of the house where the 6E router is. The result is slower speeds. I eventually deleted the client and started again. Forcing the correct router connection. 

I hope with updates this problem will settle down.

Labels (2)
14 Replies

-- can you tell your iPad to "forget" the SSID, and then...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- can you tell your iPad to "forget" the SSID, and then immediately reconnect to the SSID?  That might be faster than uninstalling/reinstalling the app, or doing a power-off/power-on to force a reconnection.

0 Kudos

That is essentially what I did “forget this connection” a...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk -- can you tell your iPad to "forget" the SSID, and then immediately reconnect to the SSID?  That might be faster than uninstalling/reinstalling the app, or doing a power-off/power-on to force a reconnection.

That is essentially what I did “forget this connection” and then reconnect to a new wifi connection - simple. I may be over subscribed with pods but I have at least one static connection to my solar panels. Plume actually offers a feature of self directing Pod connections. Because my iPad wonders around the house with me attached I don’t know how well that would work, I find the iPad picks up on the slower pods as I move through the house, but doesn’t  let go.  Maybe in time this will settle down. I could separate the bands but Shaw doesn’t recommend that. All my other devices are pretty static so they choose the correct pod or router and stay connected. 

'Plume actually offers a feature of self directing Pod co...

tc10
Grasshopper

'Plume actually offers a feature of self directing Pod connections.'  is this available in Victoria?

I have fixed location Wyze security cams that often connect to gateway 40 ft away thru wire mesh inside wall  instead of pod 15 ft away.

When the cams do this they are unreliable.

0 Kudos

I am not familiar with this feature. I did see something...

rickatk
Master

@tc10  I am not familiar with this feature. I did see something on the American web site where you can help the devices figure out the best pod or gateway to connect to. So far I found the AI choices to make good sense after a few days.

That is what I end up doing. Forgetting the gateway SSID....

rickatk
Master

That is what I end up doing. Forgetting the gateway SSID. sometimes I have to restart the wifi app. Lately the problem hasn’t been as bad. I am looking forward to the next generation wifi 6E Plume pods. 

0 Kudos

-- I have fixed location Wyze security cams that often co...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tc10 -- I have fixed location Wyze security cams that often connect to gateway 40 ft away thru wire mesh inside wall instead of pod 15 ft away.

Presumably, there is an antenna inside the camera.

Antennas are "directional". Imagine a vertically-oriented stick, with several donuts stacked on the stick. There are no donuts vertically-above the stick, but lots of donut pieces horizontally arranged, at any of the 360 degrees around the stick.  Similarly, the stick of the camera's antenna may be pointing at the stick inside the pod, resulting in a poor connection. Maybe, the camera's antenna is at a right-angle to the mesh's strongest directional signal, giving a stronger connection ??

0 Kudos

Helpful info.  So is the pod single strongest 180 degrees...

tc10
Grasshopper

Helpful info.  So is the pod single strongest 180 degrees out in front of the plugged in pod?

0 Kudos

This is helpful. The challenge is for security cameras th...

tc10
Grasshopper

This is helpful. The challenge is for security cameras that take 1-2 days to find the right pod after a modem restart. This delay is not good for security cams as my cam resolution drops from HD to SD until the cams finally get back onto their pod which is within 10 ft rather than  40 ft. 

Somehow the AI in the XB7 & Pods needs to figure this out.  
The HomeConnect app knows the devices are cams as the HomeConnect speed test identifies the various device types quite well.  So if it is a Cam after reboot it should consider defaulting to the last used pod...
sidebar: the new HomeConnect speedtest by device and pods  is quite helpful for troubleshooting. 💎💎

0 Kudos

"American web site where you can help the devices figure...

tc10
Grasshopper

"American web site where you can help the devices figure out the best pod or gateway to connect to"

Waiting a few days for security cams to re-find their pods is not so good. My cams drop to SD from HD which is not much good.

Is there any way for us as Shaw/Rogers customers to put in requests for Plume functionality updates to the XB7/XB8 and their pods?  or is this just for Xfiniti customers?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help