Jump to solution

Blue curve total issues

Flamingbul
Grasshopper

So I recently got Shaw BlueCurve total with the one wireless gateway and 3 wireless tv boxes. I was unaware of getting these as when I ordered 2 months ago they were still giving out wired boxes.

My issue is like I’m sure a lot of people will be having once they get this system is that you can’t bridge the gateway as the tv box need to be run off the gateway wifi. 

I used to being able to bridge the modem so I can you my own wifi system. I have a quite elaborate unifi system that I’ve invested quite a bit in. It has a camera system built in and my home audio and mass storage system all runs though it.

i need to figure out a way to be able to bridge the gateway but still have the tv work. 

anyone have insight on this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Do you have the new wireless TV box (Xi6)? If you do, you...

steppedflower
Grasshopper

Do you have the new wireless TV box (Xi6)? If you do, you can still wire them to Ethernet, given you have LAN ports available close to boxes. Once wired, Ethernet overwrites Wifi. So basically you simply put the BlueCurve modem in bridge mode, and use your existing setup to wire all boxes in. They will work. I am using this bridged setup right now (BlueCurve modem -> Fortigate firewall/router -> Ethernet -> Xi6).

In case you don't have entire house cabled with Ethernet, the Xi6 can work with your existing Wifi as well. My 3rd Xi6 box is hooked through Wifi because the Ethernet plug is too far. Once having Wifi disabled on BlueCurve and power up the Xi6 box, it takes longer to initialize and eventually figures out the default Wifi isn't available. It shows some text on TV, asking you to hit the 'info' button on remote to setup your own Wifi. Follow the instructions on TV to connect it to your home Wifi. It should be back in business. However though the TV program is quite bandwidth hungry, so make sure you have a strong Wifi at home. It works with both 2.4g and 5g. My 3rd box works like this, BlueCurve (bridged) -> Fortigate firewall/router -> Samsung Connect Home Wifi Mesh -> Xi6, and it works beautifully.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Jump to solution

Have you tried bridge with your own wifi having the same...

UserOnline
Grasshopper

Have you tried bridge with your own wifi having the same ssid/password as the gateway?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Do you have the new wireless TV box (Xi6)? If you do, you...

steppedflower
Grasshopper

Do you have the new wireless TV box (Xi6)? If you do, you can still wire them to Ethernet, given you have LAN ports available close to boxes. Once wired, Ethernet overwrites Wifi. So basically you simply put the BlueCurve modem in bridge mode, and use your existing setup to wire all boxes in. They will work. I am using this bridged setup right now (BlueCurve modem -> Fortigate firewall/router -> Ethernet -> Xi6).

In case you don't have entire house cabled with Ethernet, the Xi6 can work with your existing Wifi as well. My 3rd Xi6 box is hooked through Wifi because the Ethernet plug is too far. Once having Wifi disabled on BlueCurve and power up the Xi6 box, it takes longer to initialize and eventually figures out the default Wifi isn't available. It shows some text on TV, asking you to hit the 'info' button on remote to setup your own Wifi. Follow the instructions on TV to connect it to your home Wifi. It should be back in business. However though the TV program is quite bandwidth hungry, so make sure you have a strong Wifi at home. It works with both 2.4g and 5g. My 3rd box works like this, BlueCurve (bridged) -> Fortigate firewall/router -> Samsung Connect Home Wifi Mesh -> Xi6, and it works beautifully.

Good luck.

Jump to solution

> I used to being able to bridge the modem so I can [use]...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I used to being able to bridge the modem so I can [use] my own WiFi system.

You do not need to "bridge" the modem.

Just connect the "uplink" port on your WiFi router to one of the LAN ports on the BlueCurve device, with a "CAT-5E" or "CAT-6" Ethernet cable, because a "CAT-5" cable is only certified up to 100 Mbps -- insufficient for "Internet 150/300/600".

Your router will obtain a "private" IP-address from the BlueCurve, and will supply "private" IP-addresses (on a different range of IP-addresses) to the all the "wired" and "wireless" devices connected to your router.  All your devices will communicate through your router -- not sending any IP-packets to the BlueCurve. The Shaw TV boxes will communicate with the BlueCurve, via WiFi.

QED

Jump to solution

I have this set up right now but the max internet the gat...

Flamingbul
Grasshopper

I have this set up right now but the max internet the gateway is letting me have thought the ethernet port is 250. My old house I would get full 600 through. My network usually allows 1Gb/s data transfer even over wifi so I know it not my system.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am an electrical so I have everything to wire them. My...

Flamingbul
Grasshopper

I am an electrical so I have everything to wire them. My plan is to run 2 cat 6E to every room in the house. 1 for the TV's and 1 for regular internet.

Are you getting full internet speed?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Apologies for resurrecting an old post.  But, I have a qu...

SCVANDAM
Grasshopper

Apologies for resurrecting an old post.  But, I have a question in regards to your reply.  If I were to wire things as suggested, I would be running 2 wifi networks; the Shaw BlueCurve network and another via my own wifi router.  Is this not frowned upon from a collision/loss/overlap perspective?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Try everything off the Gateway. You can then connect usin...

rickatk
Master

@SCVANDAM wrote:

Apologies for resurrecting an old post.  But, I have a question in regards to your reply.  If I were to wire things as suggested, I would be running 2 wifi networks; the Shaw BlueCurve network and another via my own wifi router.  Is this not frowned upon from a collision/loss/overlap perspective?

Try everything off the Gateway. You can then connect using Ethernet or Wifi. I run most everything on wifi except one speaker that sits right next to the router. That speaker is connected via Ethernet. I did this to stop the wifi from pounding down on the speaker. Everything works fine.

Jump to solution

did you ever find a solution to the limited speeds, My AS...

MDJU
Grasshopper

did you ever find a solution to the limited speeds, My ASUS router is only getting 100Mbps down, service is for 300Mbps. I get 300Mbps while using the blue curve WIFI. but on the ASUS router its limited to 100Mpbs. I've checked the Ethernet link between the blue curve and ASUS router at its a 1GB. and the connection between ASUS and device over WIFI and ethernet is well above the 100Mbps.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Is this solution still relevant at this moment in time? I...

dcolum23
Grasshopper

Is this solution still relevant at this moment in time? I tried to use the TV Box in Bridge Mode and it was never able to connect.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help