Bluecurve 600 speeds very disappointing

TomYVR
Grasshopper

Two days ago I got my Bluecurve modem after upgrading from Internet 75 service to the Bluecurve 600 service. I noticed no speed differences at all, and then when I ran the Shaw speed test, this is what I got: 

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 4.20.31 PM.png

That is pretty terrible, and is slower than my Internet 75 service was. Granted, this test was over WiFi, not a direct cable connection, but, still, this is nowhere near 600mbps and not even half the speed I had before. I upgraded my service because I'm doing far more video chats for work, but this is actually worse! My connections are slow and laggy and the image is very low resolution now. How could this be so slow?? 

Labels (2)
28 Replies

Make sure you are on 5ghz wifi instead of 2.4ghz. I am on...

gordon1111
Grasshopper

Make sure you are on 5ghz wifi instead of 2.4ghz. I am on Internet 300 and normally get slow internet on 2.4ghz but on 5ghz I get 320 down usually.  

0 Kudos

> How could this be so slow??  1. Disconnect the AC power...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> How could this be so slow?? 

1. Disconnect the AC power from the BlueCurve modem, wait a few seconds, reconnect the AC power, and let it reboot. Then, rerun the Shaw SpeedTest, while using WiFi to your computer.  Move your computer to be in the same room as the Shaw cable-modem, for the best connection.

2. Rerun the Shaw SpeedTest with a "CAT-5E" (or a "CAT-6") Ethernet cable -- not a "CAT-5" cable, connected to your computer.

3. Contact Shaw, to confirm that they have configured your new cable-modem to your new speeds

4. Older WiFi adapters use "Wireless G" protocol, which only allows 56 Mbit speeds. Newer WiFi adapters use "Wireless N" protocol, which is much faster. The newest WiFi adapters use "Wireless AC" protocol, which is the fastest.  Open the Windows "Device Manager", and expand the "networking" branch, and check which type of adapter you have in your computer.

I haven't upgraded to BlueCurve yet, but did recently upg...

JerryInSteinbac
Grasshopper

I haven't upgraded to BlueCurve yet, but did recently upgrade to the 300 service. No difference in download speed, it was stuck at around 140 mbps wired or wireless, using an older Linksys EA6500 router. Over the past several months the router began to act more and more buggy, then it quit, so I treated myself to a sale price (Best Buy) Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. Literally a day and night difference: no matter my desktop or my iPad, a solid 330 mbps down / 16 mbps up connection. If you had told me before a router could make such a difference, "no way" would have been my response. So maybe consider the router.

old.pngnew.png

Love the Asus routers. I had the Dark Knight, but sold it...

rstra
Grand Master

Love the Asus routers. I had the Dark Knight, but sold it when I got BlueCurve a few years ago, wish I kept it. 

Today my download speed improved to 219mbps, but as I hav...

TomYVR
Grasshopper

Today my download speed improved to 219mbps, but as I have Bluecurve 600 service, shouldn't that be closer to 600mbps? 

This was tested using WiFi, though. I have a CAT-5 cable, but my MacBook Air doesn't have a port for that cable, and I don't have an adapter, so I can't test a direct connection. However, who uses direct cable connections these days for internet? WiFi is what most people use, so, the connection being faster over an old CAT-5 cable doesn't really change anything for me. 

The WiFi hardware in my MacBook is Airport Extreme which supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac. It is using AC mode to connect to the Bluecurve 600 router. 

NOTE: This was a reply to mdk's post above, not sure why it attached the reply to this post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

0 Kudos

I think you need the Bluecurve router to work with Shaw's...

TomYVR
Grasshopper

I think you need the Bluecurve router to work with Shaw's Bluecurve service, no? Anyway, it's not really an option for me to buy a new router, I'm already paying for the one Shaw provided. 

0 Kudos

- slower than my Internet 75 service was. Granted, this t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TomYVR - slower than my Internet 75 service was. Granted, this test was over WiFi, not a direct cable connection,

Your "upload" speed is definitely slower than what "Internet 300" should be giving you -- at least 15 Mbps.

Which protocols is your WiFi adapter using:

• Wireless G - up to 54 Mbps
  • Wireless N - much faster
  • Wireless AC - double the speed of Wireless N

What speed do you get when connecting with a "CAT-5e" (or "CAT-6") cable?  Avoid any "CAT-5" cable, because it is certified only to 100 Mbps.

> I have a CAT-5 cable, Discard it, because it is certifi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I have a CAT-5 cable,

Discard it, because it is certified only to 100 Mbps.  You need a "CAT-5e" cable, certified to 1000 Mbps, when using "Internet 300" or "internet 600".

> my MacBook Air doesn't have a port for that cable, and I don't have an adapter, so I can't test a direct connection ..

Got a friend with a computer that does have an Ethernet port, who is willing to directly connect to your router, and to run the Shaw SpeedTest ?

>  I'm already paying for the one Shaw provided.

Check your Shaw bill. There should be an offsetting "credit" to reduce the net monthly cost of the router to ZERO.

You could connect to the 5Ghz network and put your laptop...

rstra
Grand Master

You could connect to the 5Ghz network and put your laptop next to the BlueCurve to see what happens.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help