wrote: Contact Shaw, to confirm that they have configured...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote: Contact Shaw, to confirm that they have configured your new cable-modem to your new speeds..:

This is the most common problem. Just forgetting to upgrade the account in the back room at Shaw.

0 Kudos

My best analogy to this is when you buy a dozen eggs and...

DennisPC
Grasshopper

My best analogy to this is when you buy a dozen eggs and when you open the carton at home you only get 1 broken egg. I have 300Mbps and when I ran the speed test with cat6 Ethernet cable directly connected to the modem I get less than 1Mbps running. I just signed up with telus half an hour ago. Bye bye Shaw.

0 Kudos

Before COVID-19, the store's cashier would have opened th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Before COVID-19, the store's cashier would have opened the carton of eggs, and have looked for the "1 broken egg". Now, it is your responsibility.

> I just signed up with telus half an hour ago. Bye bye Shaw.

Did you sign-up for "Internet 75" (over your existing copper wires), or "Telus Optik" (over newly-pulled fiber-optic cable) ?

Please tell us what date that Telus has promised to you to do the wiring from the telephone-pole to the demarcation-box on the outside of your house, and what date that Telus will allow a technician to enter your house, to complete the wiring -- post COVID-19, of course.

> less than 1Mbps.

Some of those cute animals in those TELUS TV commercials are that sluggish.

0 Kudos

This happened to me as well before I never had an issue w...

Chrissydee
Grasshopper

This happened to me as well before I never had an issue with my internet but now my wifi is so inconsistent that I get disconnected from it every 5 min.

0 Kudos

Have you tried basic troubleshooting, reboot your modem/r...

rickatk
Master

@Chrissydee wrote:

This happened to me as well before I never had an issue with my internet but now my wifi is so inconsistent that I get disconnected from it every 5 min.

Have you tried basic troubleshooting, reboot your modem/router?

Have you contacted Shaw, they will run a test from their end.

Anything new added to your network?

0 Kudos

I have tried a couple of different speed test apps and th...

sniper
Grasshopper

I have tried a couple of different speed test apps and they give different readings.  Regardless the Shaw speed does not provide what I think should be an acceptable download speed.  I have tried them wireless and hard wired with an ethernet cable right to the modem.  And I am supposedly on the 300 plan. The best download speed I can get is 170 on the new computer.  But if you use the speedtest.net which is the one the Shaw tech support said I should use, I get 216. Any others are lower.  So who is telling the truth? Our newest computer is capable of downloading much faster and they keep telling me that the signal is acceptable.  300 should be 300....not 170 regardless of bandwidth  and any other factors.  I even disconnected all other devices and only had one computer connected and it made no difference. The speed you show above is what I get on my older computer, but because it is older it

will only download at a 4G speed. Is your computer newer and is it capable of downloading at the faster speed?  I think Shaw needs to provide a better service.  Sorry for the rant.

0 Kudos

-- this is a "user-to-user" discussion forum, not a path...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sniper -- this is a "user-to-user" discussion forum, not a path to contact Shaw Support.

You should be getting the speed you are paying for, if:

* each processor inside your CPU runs at 3.0 Ghz, or faster

* you have a CAT-5e or a CAT-6 Ethernet cable between your computer and your cable-modem

* if the coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and your wall-port is not kinked, frayed, or otherwise damaged

* if the signal-strength reaching the modem is within specifications.

Launch the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to the "Performance" tab.

Click on the icon for the "Ethernet"

Minimize this window..

Launch the Shaw Speed Test, and restore the Task Manager window, to view the instantaneous speed that your network-adapter is getting.

Contact Shaw (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone), and get the Shaw Support person to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check the "signal-strength", and other measurements, such as "noise levels".

Also, try a different Ethernet cable.

Also, try a different coaxial-cable.

0 Kudos

I have tried numerous times with Shaw support to test all...

sniper
Grasshopper

I have tried numerous times with Shaw support to test all different ways.  This morning I did as you mentioned and checked the speed of the processors.  They are all right at the minimum of 3.0.  The variation in the download readings from this morning went from 255 Mgbs down to 118 when directly hooked up to the modem. The 255 reading was the very first try and that's the highest I have ever seen it.  After that it just went downhill. I tried the test 6 or 7 times.  This was all done within a 10 minute interval. All the cables are new and the modem is one they just sent me a week ago. The support staff has tried changing settings, updating and pretty much anything else they can do, short of sending a tech out.  And the tech support told me there is no point in sending a technician out because they will just tell me the same thing, that the signal if fine. So no resolution!  I am pretty much done with this.

0 Kudos

Try clearing your Ethernet and wifi connection cache. “Fo...

rickatk
Master

Try clearing your Ethernet and wifi connection cache. “Forget this device.”

Reboot the router then reconnect your computer.

What modem / are you using?

Ask Shaw to reprovision your modem.

Shaw Speedtest is good as it automatically selectS Shaw servers and is powered by Ookla. Ookla has an app as well.

WiFi SweetSpots is good to check on your wifi performance.

0 Kudos

-- The variation in the download readings from this morni...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sniper -- The variation in the download readings from this morning went from 255 Mgbs down to 118 when directly hooked up to the modem.

Were you looking at the real-time display produced by the Shaw Speed Test, or by "restoring" that Windows "Task Manager" window, to show the instantaneous "send" and "receive" speeds?

The Shaw Speed Test connects to a Shaw server in your city, or nearby, e.g., if you are in Delta, it will connect to a server in Vancouver.  Thus, the Internet "path" between your cable-modem and the server will be as short (and as fast) as possible.

> short of sending a tech out.  And the tech support told me there is no point in sending a technician out because they will just tell me the same thing, 

Sigh. I think that it was presumptuous of that person to not schedule a technician to visit your domicile. The problem could be between the Shaw "demarcation-box" (on the outside of your home) and the Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street.

While reading this, scroll-down to the bottom, and click the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to connect to Shaw.

What say ye, @shaw-tony , about this less-than-promised performance?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help