thanks for the tag. I'll reply to  via DM.

shaw-tony

@mdk thanks for the tag. I'll reply to @sniper via DM.

0 Kudos

I only have the one laptop that's capable of the processo...

sniper
Grasshopper

I only have the one laptop that's capable of the processor working at 3ghz or better.  And the other testing I have used my phone to test the speeds.  I did use the shaw speed test app.  All the cables are new and 5E, along with the modem that was just sent to us. The only thing I haven't done on that computer is update the LAN drivers.  And I am not sure how to do that.  My computer skills are rather limited when it comes to that as I have not done much driver updating for anything.

So I tested my computer with the ethernet cable hooked up to the modem this morning and I tried it 3 times all with readings over 300 using the Shaw speed test.  I am not sure why that has changed.  But when I disconnect the cable and try the test right beside the modem it drops down to the 150 area and then once I move the computer into the next room where it normally is, the reading  varies between 108 to up to around 150.  To me that's not acceptable.  I think it should still be over 200 regardless of where it is and all the other variables.  Not sure where to go from here but it is getting very frustrating to say the least.

0 Kudos

I am not sure if this even went to the right person.  I w...

sniper
Grasshopper

I am not sure if this even went to the right person.  I was trying to send it to the moderator but it looks like I sent it to Grasshopper?

0 Kudos

-- when I disconnect the cable and try the test right bes...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sniper -- when I disconnect the cable and try the test right beside the modem it drops down to the 150 area

That is the maximum speed supported by the WiFi network adapter inside your computer.

From a web-site:

Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:

802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters,
300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

So, without "bonding" two channels to get 300 Mbps, you are getting 150 Mbps.

> Not sure where to go from here, but it is getting very frustrating to say the least.

Either replace the WiFi network adapter, or disable it, and purchase, connect, and configure a USB-to-WiFi adapter that supports the faster  "802.11ac" protocol, and use it.

0 Kudos

-- it looks like I sent it to Grasshopper? Note that "Gra...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sniper -- it looks like I sent it to Grasshopper?

Note that "Grasshopper" is a rating for a member of this discussion forum, as are "Master" and "Grand Master", based on their "performance" (number of suggestions, number of "thumbs-up", and number of "accepted solutions").

0 Kudos

The adapter that is installed in the computer that I have...

sniper
Grasshopper

The adapter that is installed in the computer that I have been testing is already an 802.11ac adapter. It's a newer computer so is there any point in me hitting the update driver tab? And if I do that and there is an update it should just install?  I shouldn't have to change any settings or anything should I?

0 Kudos

-- when I disconnect the cable and try the test right bes...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@sniper -- when I disconnect the cable and try the test right beside the modem it drops down to the 150 area

and: the adapter that is installed in the computer that I have been testing is an 802.11ac adapter

There is something incongruent here, because "AC" is capable of more than gigabit speeds, as is the "AC" WiFi inside the newest Shaw modems.

When you open the "device properties" on your computer, does it show an "AC" connection ?

Got any friends with "N" or "AC" adapters in their devices, that can run speed-tests while connected to your Shaw modem?

0 Kudos

I just got 600 from 300. First time I tried setting it up...

Harr
Grasshopper

I just got 600 from 300. First time I tried setting it up I was getting 8-15mbs  download. On 300 with the Hitron is getting at least +60. on a cat6 cable. The bluecurve is just ment for wifi I guess. JUNK

0 Kudos

-- I just got 600 from 300. First time I tried setting it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Harr -- I just got 600 from 300. First time I tried setting it up I was getting 8-15mbs  download.

Contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) to ask them to "reprovision" the new cable-modem to the proper speed.

Also, while you are online with them, ask the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your BlueCurve, to view the "signal-strength" reaching it. It seems that the Hitron is better than the BlueCurve when receiving a lower signal-strength feed, but I don't have any personal evidence of this, other than some posts in this discussion forum.

> On 300 with the Hitron is getting at least +60. on a cat6 cable.

That is additional evidence of poor signal-strength. My Hitron delivers 5% over my 300 Mbps contracted speed.

> The bluecurve is just meant for wifi I guess.

I disagree. Other contributors on this forum who upgraded to Shaw's "Fibre+ Gig" are getting 940 Mbps, through their BlueCurve.

Note that "940" times a large power of two is approximately equal to the "one megabit" (one followed by a lot of zero digits) that Shaw uses in its advertising.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help