Jump to solution

BlueCurve and RDP

RMFRED
Grasshopper

does anyone know how to allow RDP to go through the BlueCurve home network? I need to connect to my work PC through RDP. My RDP works everywhere outside of my home network, but not inside. What do I need to change to make it work?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I found the issue to be with IP configuration on the loca...

RMFRED
Grasshopper

I found the issue to be with IP configuration on the local PC. It looks like the Blue Curve modem defaults to IPv6 with its DHCP settings. Windows 10 will also default to IPv6 when it is available. This created a problem connecting to another PC outside the home network. The outside PC was looking for an IPv4 address for the RDP connection. Because IPv6 and IPv4 do not talk directly to each other, the device can not be found. By disabling the IPv6 settings on the local PC, allowing only IPv4 addresses to be used. Now the PC inside the Blue Curve network is now able to communicate with the remote PC through RDP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jump to solution

Can you explain a little more about what "[does not] work...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Can you explain a little more about what "[does not] work ... inside" ?  Symptoms? 

Do you see the "login" screen on your work computer?

Is there another computer on the work-network that you can try to connect to?

From a command-line prompt on your home computer, use the "tracert" command to see the path over the Internet from your home computer to your work computer.

From "everywhere outside", again try that "tracert" command, and compare this path with your "home" path.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I found the issue to be with IP configuration on the loca...

RMFRED
Grasshopper

I found the issue to be with IP configuration on the local PC. It looks like the Blue Curve modem defaults to IPv6 with its DHCP settings. Windows 10 will also default to IPv6 when it is available. This created a problem connecting to another PC outside the home network. The outside PC was looking for an IPv4 address for the RDP connection. Because IPv6 and IPv4 do not talk directly to each other, the device can not be found. By disabling the IPv6 settings on the local PC, allowing only IPv4 addresses to be used. Now the PC inside the Blue Curve network is now able to communicate with the remote PC through RDP.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help