BlueCurve Gateway - Unstable Ping

Practyc
Grasshopper

We recently upgraded to the BlueCurve gateway from the Hitron modem, and have experienced ping spikes and just higher ping in general. With the Hitron it was super stable sitting at 68-71ms ping while playing League of Legends on wifi, and with the BlueCurve its been 70-120ms range every few minutes. We switched only a week ago to the BlueCurve so I believe it doesnt have much to do with the increased traffic on servers and such, but i could be wrong. Even Discord ping has been jumping to 150ms, usually about 50ms. The Shaw internet test says everything looks fine.

Just wondering if there is anything that would help stabilize the ping. 

Labels (1)
5 Replies

since you are connecting via WiFi, it is subject to WiFi...

shaw-tony

@Practyc since you are connecting via WiFi, it is subject to WiFi interference, what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? Are you noticing the same ping issues over a direct ethernet connection to your PC?

0 Kudos

yes I'm assuming it is some sort of interference. It's no...

Practyc
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony yes I'm assuming it is some sort of interference. It's not possible to plug in directly, although an Xbox One is hardwired and seems to not have issues; as well as mobile devices have no issue on the WiFi. So I concluded that it might be my usb WiFi adapter on my PC causing a problem. 

But I thought it was weird that the Hitron modem had no signs of fluctuation in ping, but the BlueCurve does. Is there anything that would cause my usb adapter to get confused?

Troubleshooting that I did was resetting all network settings, and fully uninstalling the usb WiFi adapter and reinstalling it. It still isn't stable, but it's not jumping as high. (Planning on getting a PCIe adapter to replace the usb one)

Seeing as this might not be directly related to the Internet itself, I was wondering if you could shed any light on what could be causing this issue.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos

> I thought it was weird that the Hitron modem had no sig...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I thought it was weird that the Hitron modem had no signs of fluctuation in ping, but the BlueCurve does.

> Is there anything that would cause my usb adapter to get confused?

Extremely doubtful. I think that the explanation from @shaw-tony is more likely -- WiFi interference, especially because you say that the hard-wrired XBOX has no symptoms.

> Troubleshooting that I did ...

It would be good to use the "tracert" command-line utility in Windows to explore the network "path" between your computer and the remote server(s), to see the PING times at each "hop" on the route.

> Seeing as this might not be directly related to the Internet itself,

The output from that "tracert" command might point to the Internet as the source.

Try bypassing the USB WiFi adapter, and use a CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable to connect your computer directly to your Shaw router, and tell us the results.

hmm, since everything else is functioning as expected. It...

shaw-tony

@Practyc hmm, since everything else is functioning as expected. It certainly is possible the USB WiFi adapter is causing issues on your PC (needs an update or to reinstall the drivers). Try that and see how it goes and also test a direct ethernet connection where possible.

I ended up plugging it in directly and everything was fin...

Practyc
Grasshopper

I ended up plugging it in directly and everything was fine. I seperated the 2.4 and 5g from the networks so I could choose. I was running on 2.4g and since switching to 5g I've had no issues at all. Thanks for the help!

TALK TO US
We're here to help