Bluecurve modem issue with download speed

Boight
Grasshopper

Here in Red Deer, for the last 3 days, my internet d/l speed has dropped to about 17ish Mbps from it's normal 600. Upload is always around 20Mbps.

I was on twitter most of yesterday afternoon doing the usual troubleshooting so I'm looking for ideas as getting ahold of support isn't all that easy.

Tried:

1) reset modem via PC login and with myshaw app 3 times

2) pinhole factory reset twice and once from twitter people.

3) this effects 3 hardwired computers with identical results i.e. slow down and normal up.

4) the wifi from the modem is fine

5) tried connecting one computer at a time and nothing else to the modem. No change.

I thought it might be that last win10 updated but my 3rd computer has been off for the last week and hasn't received it yet and it's has the slow speed too.

So basically the modem lan outs are frazzled some how.

If you have ANY ideas, I'm all ears, in the mean time I'll keep trying support.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

-- given all your "tweaking" of the cable-modem, without...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Boight -- given all your "tweaking" of the cable-modem, without any improvement, I would suspect that it is OK, and your issue could be "elsewhere":

1. if you have a coaxial-splitter between the cable-modem and your wall-port, bypass it, and measure your speed;
  2. disconnect the coaxial-cable from your cable-modem and your wall-port, and then reconnect it, as tight as possible;
  3. try a different coaxial-cable.
  4. Remotely, a Shaw Agent can connect to your cable-modem, to check signal-strength and other values.
  5. if you have multiple wall-ports, there are multiple coaxial-cables inside the walls, terminating at Shaw's "demarcation box" (in your garage, or on an outside wall). Inside this locked (only a Shaw technician can open it) box is a one-to-many coaxial-splitter. Ask Shaw to replace it.
  6. While the Shaw technician has the box open, they can test the signal-strength (telephone-pole to the box, and box to your cable-modem), and they can cut off the end connectors, and attach new connectors;
  7. Another person on this forum reported a fault with the coaxial-cable between that box and the telephone-pole. Bad weather, especially wind, made that cable flex, and caused intermittent disconnections. How has been the recent weather at your location? Cold? Windy? Wet?
  8. Of course, you can ask Shaw to replace the cable-modem, if they don't first suggest that "swapping" hardware is faster than "trouble-shooting".

Thanks for the reply mdk, Strangely enough I'm getting ar...

Boight
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply mdk,

Strangely enough I'm getting around 250-300Mbps d/l this morning (should be 600) but that's way better than the 10-20 I have been getting.

Your #7 is highly possible, weather has been... variable.. lately. The twitter crew got back to me yesterday morning and did a few more tests and resets then offered to schedule a service call. I suggested they send a new modem and if that doesn't work then I'll ask for a service call.

In the meantime I'm gonna grab a  couple pair of pliers and check all inside splits. No wall ports in this old house, I rely on furnace vents. 😄

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help