BlueCurve Modem Pass-through IP

ksihota
Grasshopper

I had my second IP set up as a Pass-through IP on my old Hitron Modem. I just got the new BlueCurve modem and can't figure out how to do the same thing on it. It only has 2 ethernet ports and it appears that I have 2 IP addresses under Connections/Shaw Network

WAN IP Address (IPv4): 24.208.xxx.xx2
WAN Default Gateway Address (IPv4): 24.208.xxx.xx1

I also found Hardware/LAN Ethernet ports where the 2nd one has a setting that can be altered
Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network:
Which I assume is to allow the pass-through but I don't appear to be able to get the IP address from above to my machine.

Has anyone else got this working? I can't find any documentation that explains this.

Labels (2)
33 Replies

Unfortunately the BlueCurve gateway does not have a setti...

shaw-valerie

@ksihota Unfortunately the BlueCurve gateway does not have a setting for IP passthrough. 

0 Kudos

That's too bad.  When I upgraded my system I asked specif...

ksihota
Grasshopper

That's too bad.  When I upgraded my system I asked specifically about this and was told it was not a problem. This seems to be a step backwards. Will the feature be made available soon? Why can't it be connected to Port 2 when the Home security check for that port is selected.
Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network:
It appears that it takes that port out of the DHCP, but does not assign my 2nd Shaw IP to it.
It now looks like I will have to purchase my own WIFI router and put the BlueCurve into Bridge mode to accomplish what I need.
Very disappointing.😠

About TCP/IP routing ---------------------------- The "WA...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

About TCP/IP routing

----------------------------

The "WAN IP" is the "public" IP-address assigned by Shaw to the Shaw router. Compare to the street-address of your house: anybody driving on your street needs to identify which house is yours.

The "WAN Default Gateway" is the "public" IP-address from which all packets originating on the Internet are sent to the Shaw router.

It is also the IP-address to which all outgoing TCP/IP packets are sent, to reach any IP-address on the Internet.  Compare to the intersection of your street with the next street -- when you want to drive anywhere off your street, you need to drive to that next street, as the "gateway" to all the streets in your city, and beyond.

So, currently, you do not have  TWO  IP-addresses entering into the Shaw router.

0 Kudos

I am very sorry for that frustration! I haven't heard of...

shaw-tony

@ksihota I am very sorry for that frustration! I haven't heard of any news on if/when that feature will be available. I appreciate your feedback and will pass it along to the appropriate teams.

0 Kudos

Require IP Pass through

canadianclimate
Grasshopper
This is to bad as I was given the same information.
0 Kudos

I ended up putting it into bridge mode and buying a separ...

ksihota
Grasshopper

I ended up putting it into bridge mode and buying a separate router. Now my 2nd IP works but for some reason I am unable to access the server on that IP using any device on my other Shaw IP.
No problem using the same laptop from outside my home but not from inside. Still have to figure that one out. 😠

0 Kudos

Switched to Bridge mode. Now I do have 2 IPs (as I did pr...

ksihota
Grasshopper

Switched to Bridge mode. Now I do have 2 IPs (as I did previously with the Hitron modem)
Drawback - No WIFI router and the loss of Bluecurve capabilities that rely on the Bluecurve router (pods?)
I have to install my own to get WIFI now. 😠

0 Kudos

I specifically asked when they offered me the blue curve...

mike_macdonald
Grasshopper

I specifically asked when they offered me the blue curve modem. You need sales people that dont LIE!

Now I will be returning all this hardware and canceling the 2 year contract - thanks for lying to me Shaw and wasting everyone's times/

>  ended up putting it into bridge mode and buying a sepa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  ended up putting it into bridge mode and buying a separate router.

> Now my 2nd IP works but for some reason I am unable to access the server on that IP using any device on my other Shaw IP.

> No problem using the same laptop from outside my home but not from inside. Still have to figure that one out.

It seems like the BlueCurve is "bridging" both IP-addresses -- accepting both IP-addresses from Shaw's network, and giving those IP-addresses to the two "LAN" (Local Area Network) ports on the BlueCurve.  That's good.

So, one IP-address is allocated to your server that is "directly" on the Shaw network, in the same way that your neighbour's computer is directly on the Shaw network -- two customers, each with a "public" IP-address, in different houses, with limited communications between the two houses/computers.

The second "public" IP-address is assigned to your own router, and your router gives "private" IP-addresses to all of your devices (wired/wireless).  So, any network traffic leaving one of your devices, heading for your server, will go in/through/out of your own router, and then either:

1. in/through/out the BlueCurve (from one LAN port into the other LAN port), or,
  2. in/through/out the BlueCurve into the Shaw network, and the Shaw network will route the packets back to your BlueCurve, for "bridging" into its first LAN port.

I am not sure which "path" the packets will take, and whether there might be some "IP-filtering" that is blocking the packets on their path.

Use the IPCONFIG command on each Windows computer to show the IP-address ("public" or "private") that is assigned to each computer.

I need more details about your configuration of your laptop to make a useful comment about your observations about it, either when "home" or when "roaming" (free WiFi at StoreBooks, or Shaw GoWiFi, or Telus' Free WiFi, or some friend's private WiFi).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help