This link may help you see who the real controlling share...

whomever
Grasshopper

This link may help you see who the real controlling shareholder is.

It's a list of Shaw's contributions to our lords and masters. 

Did you vote Liberal? 😉 I bet Shaw did, and since they share pillows, the feds will most certainly let this monopoly pass, handing Shaw a "Get Out of Jail Free" card and 30 pieces of silver.

~w~

0 Kudos

This change may impact us as consumers. Rogers is very ex...

Kraken89
Grasshopper

This change may impact us as consumers. Rogers is very expensive! They will “ honour” the packages and prices we currently have, but once they have merged and  have absolute control of everything , the increasing prices will hurt us .. 

0 Kudos

Shaw and Rogers have cooperated in the past, ever since t...

rstra
Grand Master

@Upfront6891 Shaw and Rogers have cooperated in the past, ever since they swapped territories back in 2000. I believe that a Rogers takeover was logical, given they share the same technology. Because they didn’t compete for in-home customers, the only competition was in the mobile market and the government may require them to spin off Freedom, or maybe sell it. Rogers will have access to the Shaw infrastructure, making it easier for them to expand their mobile footprint in Western Canada and launch 5G. Overall, doubt it will affect the customer all that much.

Either way, I would like to get everything under one roof...

rickatk
Master

@nanuuk wrote:

I was a shareholder. I sold today to take some profit. I believe the regulator will not allow this to go through. I am likely to switch to Telus if it does as Rogers ranks right up there with Bell as the worst in expensive product offerings and customer service.

I have never been with Rogers so I need to investigate further. I currently have Telus Mobility which is pretty good. I have been very happy with Shaw internet and TV and lately Blue Curve and Cloud PVR. All working pretty good. Rogers offers a variant of Blue Curve based on Comcast X1 so changing internet and wireless TV hardware might not be required. Mind you putting everything with Telus is interesting for me.

Either way, I would like to get everything under one roof as it were. As far as the national picture going from 4 carriers to 3 carriers...meh.

0 Kudos

As usual a well thought out post. I had a quick look at T...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@Upfront6891 Shaw and Rogers have cooperated in the past, ever since they swapped territories back in 2000. I believe that a Rogers takeover was logical, given they share the same technology. Because they didn’t compete for in-home customers, the only competition was in the mobile market and the government may require them to spin off Freedom, or maybe sell it. Rogers will have access to the Shaw infrastructure, making it easier for them to expand their mobile footprint in Western Canada and launch 5G. Overall, doubt it will affect the customer all that much.

@rstra  As usual a well thought out post.

I had a quick look at Telus Home Internet and TV and Rogers Ignite. A transfer to Telus would mean a lot of hardware changes and I am not to sure about the whole pure fibre thing. Rogers Ignite however looks very similar to Blue Curve so not much change there. I have been very happy with the Comcast X1 based Blue curve platform.  As far as cellular I am with Telus so maybe again not much change except at time of renewal in a couple years Rogers may be an option.   

I have heard Rogers wireless reception is pretty good. That will require more research.

--  I remember how Shaw was known as Rogers before the sa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Upfront6891 --  I remember how Shaw was known as Rogers before the sale in 2001?

Really? Over the years, Rogers and Shaw, trading like competing NHL teams, have done "swaps", e.g., Kevin Bieksa traded in 2016 for a high-round draft choice.

My parents had Rogers Cable, and then the region where they lived was "traded" to Shaw, and Shaw "traded" a region in Ontario to Rogers.

0 Kudos

-- A transfer to Telus would mean a lot of hardware chang...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- A transfer to Telus would mean a lot of hardware changes and I am not to sure about the whole pure fibre thing.

A friend switched, and the Telus installer did a mostly-good job for her, with one exception -- the fibre-optic cable that he terminated in her "computer-room" was flimsy where it connected to the Telus modem, which was not anchored to the wall, under his computer-table. All it took was one accidental "kick" to move the modem far-enough to break the fiber-optic cable.

The next TELUS technician properly repaired the break, and properly anchored the modem to the wall, to prevent a repeat.

Would this have happened with coaxial cable? Probably not.

Shaw claims that their "fibre-plus" network is 99.9% fiber-optic cable, with the "last-mile" using coaxial-cable.

Meh.

0 Kudos

I too had an experience with breaking a fibre optic cable...

rickatk
Master

@mdk I too had an experience with breaking a fibre optic cable. My friend had a Telus set up installed in his garage. He had a fibre optic modem with built in battery and then another regular modem that connected with the coax in his home. The fibre optic box was moved just one too many times and it fractured. These cables are very delicate.

More importantly the over all setup still involved coax cable around the house. My head hurts just acquainting myself with how I would bring in a Telus setup to my house these days. I am not swayed by the fibre optic marketing because at the end of the day coaxial cable ends up in the mix. 

With more emphasis on wireless connections I have to say I was less that impressed with the Telus solution. Definitely the wifi  booster china plates didn't look very appealing to me. 

At any rate, I will just take a wait and see approach on this whole Shaw / Rogers announcement. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help