Same exact issue as  , props to   for single-handedly pro...

Matty2
Grasshopper

Same exact issue as @mtb_trailhunter , props to @mdk  for single-handedly providing all this help. So I have tried everything posted here and more, in leu of swapping out the modem. I am also in school and cannot access my school coursework platform and have little time to sit at home fixing the issue (especially since I cant do most school work on my broken internet). Does anyone know if @mtb_trailhunter  fixed the issue with the modem swap? I have been considering this because its the only other possible route I can imagine to take. 

0 Kudos

-- this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, but your prob...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Matty2 -- this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, but your problems seem to be of the kind that only can be addressed by contacting Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ).  A Shaw Agent can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view its internal statistics, including "signal strength" reaching your modem. It could be a problem between your residence and the nearest telephone pole -- a modem-swap won't help, in that case.

How many computers & WiFi-capable devices do you use?

If you have a desktop computer connected via an Ethernet cable to your cable-modem, can you access some web-sites, e.g., www.shaw.ca or http://SpeedTest.Shaw.ca or www.bing.com or www.google.ca ? Same question for any smart-phone that is connected to the WiFi signals originating at your cable-modem.

Today is a "bad" day for Internet users. Shaw and non-Shaw users cannot access Facebook, Instagram, nor WhatsApp.  It seems like F.B. is having major connectivity problems in California.  So, today, don't try to access those sites.

Are you trying to access some web-sites that are hosted in the Peoples Republic of China?  That country has been known to block specific IP-addresses. Users can connect through a VPN to those sites, or try to convince Shaw to give them a different cable-modem, or use some other "workaround" that "Great Firewall of China" that is blocking them.

Can you access some academic web-sites: www.ubc.ca or www.usask.ca or www.utoronto.ca ? Those sites are Internet-connected via the Canarie Research Network, not by the "commercial" Internet network.

0 Kudos

I'm currently having this trouble, too, with my Shaw home...

KMD25
Grasshopper

I'm currently having this trouble, too, with my Shaw home internet.  Sites that were working just a few days ago, are no longer working.  I get a timeout error.  Only two sites on a similar web platform have this issue.  But no other sites seem to be affected.  And those two sites are not impacted on our Shaw Business Internet at the office or when we use data on our phones.   Did Shaw do some kind of update the other day to cause this problem with some sites?  

0 Kudos

-- Sites that were working just a few days ago, are no lo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KMD25 -- Sites that were working just a few days ago, are no longer working.  I get a timeout error.  

Only two sites on a similar web platform have this issue. 

What are the URLs for those web-sites? In what city/town are you located? Are those web-sites physically located in Canada? USA? Transatlantic? Are those web-sites co-located somewhere inside the "Amazon Cloud" or on a different network, such as when using hosting by Microsoft?

those two sites are not impacted on our Shaw Business Internet at the office or when we use data on our phones.   

Via "data" on your phones, you probably are connecting to a different network (Telus? Bell? Rogers?) which gives you a different "route" for your traffic -- bypassing Shaw's "backbone" network.

Did Shaw do some kind of update the other day to cause this problem with some sites?  

Probably not, at least not intentionally.  That would NOT be my "first guess" for a solution to your issue.

0 Kudos

Which sites?

rstra
Grand Master

@KMD25  Which sites?

0 Kudos

Thanks for your responses.  All helpful for troubleshooti...

KMD25
Grasshopper

Thanks for your responses.  All helpful for troubleshooting.     I ultimately tracked down the problem as being that the webhost firewall had blocked my home IP address.  I contacted them.  They unblocked same, and everything is working now.  They offered that sometimes that happens if you have made too many failed attempts to log in to a site.  There wasn't actually a log in on the site, so I don't know exactly what happened, but once they unblocked, everything is good.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help