Cisco DPC3825 Pre-assigned DHCP addresses

rnewell
Grasshopper

I have a device on my network that needs to be seen from the outside world -

So I use the Pre-assignment feature in the router to BIND an IP address of my choosing

within the internal network by binding (for example) 192.168.0.XX to the MAC ADDRESS of the device -

and use PORT FORWARDING to direct any outside traffic to this specific IP address within my network

-- and the port that it is listening on....

Problem is: when the DHCP lease expires (default one hour) the Pre-assigned IP address is

flushed and my connection is lost and I need to enter the IP reservation again --

I see I can extend the LEASE time to 24 hours but this is only marginally more helpful.

Is there a more modern or different modem I can get that can do this the way I want it?

many thanks -

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Pre-assigned DHCP addresses

shaw-tony

Hey rnewell,

This is generally outside our scope of support as it is a specific manual setting, maybe other Community members would like to chime in.

From what I am gathering, you are looking to set a static IP for one of your devices? If you are looking to do that, unfortunately, there is no way to modify the lease time for the port forwarding option. I'd recommend having the modem bridged (contact with technical support is required), then setting this up on a 3rd party router as you will have more control over the settings. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Re: Cisco DPC3825 Pre-assigned DHCP addresses

rnewell
Grasshopper

Yes - turning off the radio in the CISCO and Bridging to another WiFi router where I have more DHCP lease flexibility is the way to go.

Engineering note about the Cisco DPC3825 - the wall-warts that come with them are the cheapest most bad-ass Chinese made switching supplies I have ever seen and put out several hundred milliwatts of broadband RF from 100 khz to 30 Mhz or so - I live on a large suburban property and the switching noise was audible on all of my emergency radio gear.

Like many broadband over power-line ethernet and WiFi extenders: they are noisy as heck - can actually interfere with the proper operation of other routers and emergency communications equipment. Which is probably why so many people buy them from CostCo only to return them a few weeks later when they realize that they don't work as advertised.

Thanks for the feedback! 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help