Connecting to Hitron Modem with older Mac-Apple computer

User99
Grasshopper

Plug and play as they say works fine if you are running the latest PC or Apple computer and software. All my devices including smartphones work on the new Hitron Modem except my older Mac Laptop running Mavericks. After the 55 minute wait on the phone and the 15 minute conversation with the support desk I still had no answer. I already talked to techs prior via chat with no luck. Call Apple they said. The computer is 7 years old. After spending another day searching the internet for solutions I gave up. The issue is when my computer looks for networks to connect to; it recognizes the Hitron modem with WPA2 Enterprise security login. As it tries to connect it asks for a Username and Password. Of course there is no Username needed and the login fails. None of the techs had an answer.

The answer lies in how your modem is setup. So I went to look at the modem settings. Go to Basic settings 2.4G and look at the righthand column of settings. To get wifi access with older equipment you have to change the Authorization Mode from WPA2-PSK to Auto mode (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK).  Your Encryption Mode will change from AES to TKIP/AES. Once you have changed that on the 2.4G page you can log in with no problem with all your equipment. Leave the 5G side alone. I use the 5-G side for my devices that are setup for 5G and can handle that speed. Hope this is helpful for those who have upgraded to the Hitron Modem and maybe we can train the helpdesk folks on how to assist with modem login issues.

Labels (1)
7 Replies

Many thanks my friend, took me months to sort this one ou...

P59
Grasshopper

Many thanks my friend, took me months to sort this one out.

Cheers

0 Kudos

-- As it tries to connect it asks for a Username and Pass...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@User99 -- As it tries to connect it asks for a Username and Password. Of course there is no Username needed and the login fails.

The SSID and the corresponding password are printed on the label on the side of the cable-modem. Don't those values work for you?

0 Kudos

We are having the same problem with a mac running OS vers...

fredkonk
Grasshopper

We are having the same problem with a mac running OS version 10.6.8 (which we can't upgrade).  The router/modem is the Hitron CGNM-2250 with hardware version 1A and software version 4.5.11.23b3.  When we try to connect to the local wifi network we're prompted for a username.

Unfortunately the workaround User99 suggested doesn't work - on the router configuration under Wireless -> 2.4G -> Multiple SSID Settings the only option under Auth Mode is WPA2-PSK and under Encrypt Mode the only option is AES.  So I'm guessing the current firmware doesn't allow Auto mode under Auth Mod.

Anyone offer another idea to get our mac to connect wirelessly?  It seems we can't revert the firmware on this router.

I'm running 4.5.11.24b1 on our modem and it has Auto... s...

apolloisland
Grasshopper

I'm running 4.5.11.24b1 on our modem and it has Auto... so maybe a software version update might help you...

(I don't have an issue with High Sierra on this modem setting myself. The new Macs/Windows and devices are fine.  I'd like to see WPA3 supported... (I get a "Weak security WPA" notice on the wifi connection on the Mac's even when WPA2 is set.)

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 22.41.19.png

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, apolloisland.  Unfortuna...

fredkonk
Grasshopper

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, apolloisland.  Unfortunately shaw tech support was unable to update the firmware, after calling twice and speaking to two different people.

Instead I connected an old apple airport wifi router into the hitron (as an "existing ethernet network") and was able to connect the old mac to the airport router.

0 Kudos

>  a mac running OS version 10.6.8 (which we can't upgrad...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@fredkonk 

>  a mac running OS version 10.6.8 (which we can't upgrade).  The router/modem is the Hitron CGNM-2250 with hardware version 1A and software version 4.5.11.23b3.

I have a somewhat-antique Apple iPad Mini running "version 9.3.6" (which cannot be upgraded) connecting to my Hitron ("hardware version 1A" & "software version 4.5.11.24b1").

The iPad connects fine, to either 2.4 G or 5 G networks.

>  When we try to connect to the local wifi network we're prompted for a username.

Is it your Mac that is asking for the password for the local administrator's account name, or is your Mac asking for the password for the SSID?

0 Kudos

As with the OP, the old mac is asking for a username and...

fredkonk
Grasshopper

@mdk wrote:

I have a somewhat-antique Apple iPad Mini running "version 9.3.6" (which cannot be upgraded) connecting to my Hitron ("hardware version 1A" & "software version 4.5.11.24b1").

The iPad connects fine, to either 2.4 G or 5 G networks.

Yes, that's consistent with what apolloisland found above - the latest firmware seems to solve the problem.

@mdk wrote:
Is it your Mac that is asking for the password for the local administrator's account name, or is your Mac asking for the password for the SSID?

As with the OP, the old mac is asking for a username and password for the wifi network.  In other words, the mac is incorrectly thinking that the wifi network is WPA2 enterprise.  Other devices connect to the same hitron wifi network with only the wifi password, and the old mac connects to other wifi networks with only their wifi password, so clearly there is a bug with this mac/hitron combination.

The OP says changing the hitron authorization mode from WPA2-PSK to auto mode is a workaround, if you're able to get the latest hitron firmware.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help