Re: Connection dropping since free upgrade to 300

Not applicable

Hi Thund3rbolt. I'm happy to hear you got your problem resolved.... Yay!!!!! lol

Since putting my Hitron to "gateway" mode, it's been rock solid, I've turned off wifi and as many features as I could from the Hitron and have all my wired and wifi devices going through my NetGear router which is in AP mode instead of plain router mode. About the only other thing the Hitron does other than being a cable modem is being a DHCP server (set a limited number of IP's it can give out), everything else is handled by my AP (netgear router).

This has been working well and no headaches like I was having when the Hitron was in "Bridge" mode.

Take care

Regards: Jack

0 Kudos

Re: Connection dropping since free upgrade to 300

nanuuk
Grasshopper

The Hitron WiFi modem has the notorious Puma 6 chipset (with with a known hardware defect) that 'craters' every now and again also has high latency from what I understand (goto DSLreports.com for more info). I had used this modem in my home for the last couple of years, but grew frustrated as I never received the advertised speeds at either 2.4G or 5.0G. And I had drop outs in my basement when trying to stream NetFlix. I finally purchased a Ubiquiti Amplifi WiFi that uses a technology to 'blend' the two wave lengths and deliver a consistently strong signal. I achieved 75Mpbs over the WiFi which is good and the advertised 150 over the ethernet. I still suffered from those drop-outs.

As I owned my Hitron and had a need for it at the cottage where I could replace my rented Hitron, I called Shaw about the XB6 (now called the BlueCurve Gateway). The tech arrived today, installed the BlueCurve, and so far (knock on wood) I've been getting 150 Mpbs over the Wifi and presumably 300 over the ethernet (I only have one device connected, my A/V Receiver).

The XB6 uses the Puma 7 chipset and uses the same technology that the Ubiquiti Amplifi uses (and others like Google Mesh) so even though its only been hours I'd have to say this modem is a definite upgrade. I could have save myself a couple hundred bucks if I had done this sooner.

0 Kudos

Connection dropping in 300

Jibu1
Grasshopper

I didn’t even know that I have 300mb when I called customer service on September 20. Recently when I was browsing and watching YouTube. I found that my YouTube would be slow or says loading. I have a 2 year old router from lynks which is supposed to be pretty good. When I called customer service they told me to rest and do a test. I said that my test wasn’t showing 4. She said that it should be around 250 the least. I replied saying that if it’s problem with their modem. She checked it from their side and said that her system shows it was running around 300mb. She told me that I need to go to some electronics store and get an a white cable or axis cable or unbridge my lynks router. So when I was browsing through Shaw website speed enquires I found out that rest of Shaw cable customer have the same problem. IF I am having these problems I will ask the technician to come over and check the issues if they don’t fix it I will take my business to Telus. They told me that they will pay me out. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help