Connnecting Gigabit Ethernet Switch to Hitron 2250

wanderer649
Grasshopper

Is it possible to connect a gigabit ethernet switch to the Hitron 2250? Chatting with tech support was useless. The question "was beyond [their] scope."

Disconnected all other ethernet ports on the Hitron. Connected a single Win10 client to the ethernet switch. PC alternates between connected with a DHCP addr and no connection. It's as if the Hitron is a hub and not a switch and re-sends packets back to the same port (the one used by the switch) causing spanning tree on the switch to deactivate the port.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Hey ! Welcome to this peer-to-peer forum, please note, th...

shaw-monica

Hey @wanderer649Welcome to this peer-to-peer forum, please note, this platform is not closely monitored like our other support avenues. If you're needing immediate assistance, please reach our team at: https://www.shaw.ca/contact-us.

In response to your earlier inquiry: It is possible to connect a Gigabit Ethernet switch to your Hitron modem. Should you decide to use your own switch, please let us know so we can ensure a second IP address gets added to your modem's configuration. Once we've added the 2nd IP address, if you do find yourself running into the same issues, you'll want us to toggle your Hitron into bridged mode. Before having us do this, however, please make sure you have your own WiFi router (in addition to your Gigabit Ethernet switch) as the bridged mode will disable the Hitron's onboard WiFi broadcast.

Please reach out at your convenience, via the link provided above, we look forward to assisting you. 😊

0 Kudos

-- Is it possible to connect a gigabit ethernet switch to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wanderer649 -- Is it possible to connect a gigabit ethernet switch to the Hitron 2250?

Yes. I have done it, although I currently am not doing it.

The "non-bridged" Hitron (or a "non-bridged" XB6 or XB7) should supply "private" IP-addresses to each computer connected to the switch.

Connect one computer to your switch. Open a command-line prompt, and enter IPCONFIG /ALL to see output like:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hitronhub.home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : December-04-21 11:40:33 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : January-17-22 09:55:52 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Notice that the DHCP-server inside the Hitron returned:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : December-04-21 11:40:33 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : January-17-22 09:55:52 PM

That is a very-long lease, but it applies only to that one computer. What do you see? Is the duration of your lease a similar "long" time, or something much shorter?  This might help you determine why your computer "loses" its connection.

> Chatting with tech support was useless. 

Unfortunately, the training of some front-line Shaw Customer Service Agents can be lacking.

The local A&W Restaurant cannot fill jobs, even at $17.50/hour to start.  Probably, Shaw has similar difficulties in hiring/training/retaining staff.

Note that a "hub" will "broadcast" each incoming packet to every connected computer, and relies on the network-adapter inside each computer to drop any packets _NOT_ addressed to them. On the other hand, a "switch" does "learn" which ONE computer is supposed to receive the incoming packet, and sends the packet only to that ONE computer, resulting in much less "traffic" on the network.

0 Kudos

Update: Short Answer, "Yes!". Tried two different D-Link...

wanderer649
Grasshopper

Update: Short Answer, "Yes!".

Tried two different D-Link GS (DGS-108GL 8-port from Amazon, DGS-1005G from Craig's.). Finally, sniffed the link. Both had the same problem: They don't forward broadcasts and don't flood on unknown MACs. So ARP requests do not get forwarded. With hard-coded ARP entries (on W10 clients), even unicast packets are not forwarded. (The intermittent packets that I saw were only forwarded if I moved the ethernet cable to a different port. For the first seconds after connection, packets were flooded to the new port.) Can't believe that I had two bad switches. Sounds more like bad firmware.

On a replacement TP-Link TL-SG108 (actually cheaper than the DL on Amazon). Plug and Play. I don't know why people are suggesting IP-passthrough with secondary WAN addr, etc. I wasn't trying to add a passthrough router.

re: DHCP lease time. The addr shown was a private addr so that lease time is changeable on your router. The client typically starts renewal attempts after 1/2 lease time so there is no reason to set the lease so long... especially for businesses offering free wifi using home routers.

0 Kudos

I *should* add that DHCP requests DID get forwarded on th...

wanderer649
Grasshopper

I *should* add that DHCP requests DID get forwarded on the D-Link.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help