Contract Up for Renewal

RD999
Grasshopper

My two year contract is coming up for renewal in October. I was paying $55/mo for internet 300. Questions:

1. Can I do better than $95/month for this (an increase of $40)?

2. For an extra $4 I can move to the fibre plan. I don't use the WIFI in the modem and I am happy with my current speeds. Should I still consider moving to the fibre plan?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies

-- 1. can I do better? Not likely, if you stick with Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RD999 -- 1. can I do better?

Not likely, if you stick with Shaw Internet. There are some Internet Service Providers that also use cable-modems, and your existing coaxial-cables, that may have lower prices, with different speeds.

You could contact TELUS, and ask for a good rate as a "new-and-non-TELUS-subscriber".

Do you have content recorded on your Shaw PVR? If so, you won't be able to watch it, after you terminate your Shaw TV contract. If it is a "rented" PVR, you will have to return it.

Note that Shaw Mobile was announced on July 30 2020 -- "free talk and text" for Shaw Internet customers, but extra charges for "data". TELUS does not currently match this offering. TELUS offers a small discount if you "bundle" Telus Mobility with their TV/Internet/land-line package.

How many computers/devices in your home? If only 1 or 2 are being simultaneously used, then 300 Mbps is fast-enough -- many web-sites cannot "push" out data faster than 100 Mbps, and services like YouTube and Zoom work fine with the classic "Internet 10" speed.

2. I can move to the fibre plan

This is just a new name, courtesy of Shaw's Marketing Department -- you still will have coaxial-cable as the "last mile" into your home.

If you have a HITRON cable-modem, I would stick with it, rather than getting the BlueCurve cable-modem, judging only by messages from the people on this forum who complain about their BlueCurve cable-modem.  People with BlueCurve who do not have a problem do not post here. So, here, you see only the "squeaky-wheels".

In Alberta, TELUS offers a discount for people with a disability. In Canada, TELUS & Shaw offer slower Internet (75 Mbps ???) to low-income families with school-age children -- if you are eligible, you probably have already been notified by the Government of Canada.

0 Kudos

You should be able to continuing with the same rate if yo...

rickatk
Master

You should be able to continuing with the same rate if you just do nothing. A $40.00 increase on a new plan is steep And unnecessary.

If you are happy with your present internet speed, no need to change it.

0 Kudos

Hey there,  I personally highly doubt that this person ca...

g-idk
Master

Hey there,  I personally highly doubt that this person can just do nothing and he is magically going to keep his $55 a month internet 300 plan after the renew date, technically it would automatically revert to whatever the full regular price is for that service, or Shaw may offer a new discount to them if they are willing to sign up for another 2 years, but it's most likely they will not repeat his $55. deal but give them a new one at a higher rate.   And that's provided they actually talk to someone at shaw, not just sit back and do nothing.  

Also, given that the soon-expiring contract has included...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Also, given that the soon-expiring contract has included "no price increases" for its duration, it is likely that any new contract will roll-in those "missed" price increases, and thus will have higher prices.

In the last 2 years, my house insurance, my city taxes, my automobile insurance, and my water/sewer charges have increased. So, I suspect that my Shaw services will probably increase, at the end of my 2-year contract.

0 Kudos

Assuming you are at the end of your value contract and yo...

rickatk
Master

@g-idk @mdk @RD999 

Assuming you are at the end of your value contract and your promotion is expired there is no reason for your contract price should increase. That was my situation. I called in just before the end of my contract, agreed to a new two year contract with price protection - no change in rate. Which stayed constant until I upgraded to Fibre + Gig which incurred a slight monthly increase. Shaw was kind enough to give me a lump sum to offset the new increase for Fibre + Gig over the course of two years.

In short, if you sign for another two years, your previous non promotional rate shouldn’t change. 

Alternatively you can ask for the Covid rate, see what that gets you. 😉

0 Kudos

-- if you sign for another two years, your previous non p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- if you sign for another two years, your previous non promotional rate shouldn’t change. 

Oh, I would love to talk to the Shaw employee who gave you the "old" price for your "new" plan, when my Two-Year ValuePlan is about to expire.

From Shaw's web-site:

At the end of your ValuePlan Commitment Period Unless this Agreement is terminated earlier by you or Shaw, upon the expiry of the ValuePlan Commitment Period the Services provided for such fixed term will renew on a month-to-month basis at the then current market price plus applicable taxes for your Services and on the then current terms and conditions applicable to month-to-month customers. Shaw will notify you of the then current market price for your Services prior to the expiry of the ValuePlan Commitment Period.

This speaks only to those subscribers who take no action to start another two-year plan.

Fortunately, I still have 11 months left on my current ValuePlan.

0 Kudos

.:.This speaks only to those subscribers who take no acti...

rickatk
Master

.:.This speaks only to those subscribers who take no action to start another two-year plan.”

The key is,  I called in near the end of my contract and agreed to another two year value agreement. Doing nothing opens up any commitment either party has... Shaw to increase their price or the customer to search around for another deal with another carrier.

In fact Shaw called me once to lock into a plan with the promise of a reduced price, months out from my plan expiry.

It’s all about customer retention. Nothing unusual really.

0 Kudos

Well I'm pleasantly shocked that you got that deal,  that...

g-idk
Master

Well I'm pleasantly shocked that you got that deal,  that is not how it usually works for most people, but there is always the exception.  See you did call in and accept a new offer , not just do nothing and magically everything will stay the same.  That's the point I was trying to make, that you need to make some sort of arrangement with Shaw since the contract is coming due.  My contract comes up soon also and I have been given some offers but they are all still a little more than I'm paying now.  May I ask @rickatk when you began you new contract because a lot of changes have happened since May/2020 when they started changing a bunch of channel offerings and prices.  Technically at the end of 2 years it reverts to month to month at full price, and they never automatically renew your old contract, you need to call in before hand or it will revert.  

0 Kudos

My TV plan hasn’t changed for years. Same Large TV Pick 1...

rickatk
Master

@g-idk wrote:

Well I'm pleasantly shocked that you got that deal,  that is not how it usually works for most people, but there is always the exception.  See you did call in and accept a new offer , not just do nothing and magically everything will stay the same.  That's the point I was trying to make, that you need to make some sort of arrangement with Shaw since the contract is coming due.  My contract comes up soon also and I have been given some offers but they are all still a little more than I'm paying now.  May I ask @rickatk when you began you new contract because a lot of changes have happened since May/2020 when they started changing a bunch of channel offerings and prices.  Technically at the end of 2 years it reverts to month to month at full price, and they never automatically renew your old contract, you need to call in before hand or it will revert.  

My TV plan hasn’t changed for years. Same Large TV Pick 11. Can’t really comment on what happened in May.  I was advised to stay with my existing TV plan because it was better than more modern plans.

Looking at my bill, I am sure glad I received promotions. Blue Curve, Fibre Gig, Crave /HBO, four wireless tv players and Home Phone is $300.00

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help