Difference between Hitron CGNM-2250 and CGNM-2250 ST?

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Does anyone know the differences between the two? Shaw 

Labels (1)
15 Replies

we do not offer a model with the ST designation. Do you c...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 we do not offer a model with the ST designation. Do you currently have one? 

0 Kudos

Actually, you in fact do. I was told this by tech support...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Actually, you in fact do. I was told this by tech support and customer loyalty. I forgot to ask what the difference is. 

I am going to make an educated guess that the ST designation has more than just the one-gigabyte ethernet ports which the regular Hitron has.  Can you please research and post here for future archival and reference purposes?

0 Kudos

I checked with our content team and inventory group which...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 I checked with our content team and inventory group which reported that there is no ST model. The information available on the modem is located here. All ports are gigabit enabled. Are you using CAT-5e or higher ethernet cables? If the indicator light shows yellow, the device and the modem is a gigabit connection.

0 Kudos

Hi Tony, Thanks for looking this up.  I do not have the S...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

Thanks for looking this up.  I do not have the ST version. 

I am terribly frustrated at this point.  It seems you're correct and once again I have been misinformed by the Shaw team.  
I have voice transcripts of my calls with Shaw and I reviewed them again and again if I misunderstood or didn't hear things correctly. But no. 

I have many issues now with Shaw. What is going on with the calibre of knowledge lately?

I know this is off-topic. However, I hope you can assist.

Who do I speak to personally at a management level at Shaw? Which department (s)?

The latest (one of many) is the swapping of the Blue Curve modem for the Hitron. When I received it today, I opened it up and I noticed it wasn't in great shape. Just ok shape. It's a refurbished model.  

Too make a long story short and there's no need to redirect me to troubleshoot as I have done everything and more. This refurbished modem should never been released. It should be recycled. It never was quality control tested. 

Speeds for this refurbished one, unlike my previous 6-month-old Hitron which was brand new and swapped for the Blue Curve got me over 320 Mbps on a 300 Mbps 5G and about 80 Mbps over 2.4G (this is my previous Hitron). With the exact same settings, I am getting 40 and 17 with the refurbished model. I have the config file saved and even did a factory reset to see if by unlikely chance the config file became corrupt. 

Who do I speak to address this QC issue? The Hitron is quite scarce now in BC and this is a huge frustrating inconvenience and hassle. 

0 Kudos

I am sorry for any misunderstandings and would be happy t...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 I am sorry for any misunderstandings and would be happy to pass the feedback along to our leadership team members. That is indeed slower than expected speeds from the Hitron. Is there a certain reason you swapped the BlueCurve modem for the Hitron? We definitely want to ensure you are enjoying the speeds you expect and would recommend scheduling a service technician to take a further look.

0 Kudos

Hi Tony, Yes. I would appreciate passing the feedback alo...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

Yes. I would appreciate passing the feedback along.BTW. I noticed on the Hitron Box I returned that it had what appeared Hitron CGNM-2250 SI (S I)  on the packaging.

There are many reasons I swapped the Blue Curve for the original Hitron (which apparently now is slowly being discontinued so I was told).

The BC only has  2 Ethernet ports when I need 4.

It lacks the ability to save  and load your modem configuration file through the web portal (http://10.0.0.1/)

It negatively impacts VPN speeds

The wifi connection wasn't stable with frequent wifi drops using the same channel settings optimized for our area.  The replacement BC seems fine for now, but we are waiting for a new Hitron from the warehouse.

I also don't like Shaw's methodology with the BC in general. I had to call-in to find the web portal modem's IP address. It was not included in any instruction material like was in the past with both the Cisco and Hitron. 

I have had none of these issues with the previous Hitron which was only 6 months old and provided brand new, non refurbished.

Frustratingly, everything turned to heck after upgrading the modem to the BC. Had we kept the Hitron modem, none of these blunders would have happened. The fact there were so many simply can't be left ignored. I already mentioned this to Loyalty and supposedly, I was assured it would be forwarded. I will follow-up in a few weeks. 

0 Kudos

thank you again for your feedback. Configurations in the...

shaw-tony

@Upfront6891 thank you again for your feedback. Configurations in the web portal should save once you've set them. I haven't heard of any other reports of speed issues with VPN setups. As for the BlueCurve modem settings, we recommend using the BlueCurve Home App for the best experience. We also have content available online that covers the details of the web portal. 

0 Kudos

I don't like using the app especially on a small screen....

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

I don't like using the app especially on a small screen. I don't want to control my modem and internet from my phone, but my computer. 

0 Kudos

> I also don't like Shaw's methodology with the BC in gen...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I also don't like Shaw's methodology with the BC in general.

> I had to call-in to find the web portal modem's IP address.

> It was not included in any instruction material like was in the past with both the Cisco and Hitron. 

Connect your Windows-running computer to either the  Cisco or the Hitron or the BlueCurve, and open a command-line prompt.

Enter the command: IPCONFIG

to see output something like:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.12

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

That "gateway" IP-address is the IP-address of the web-server inside the router. Use any web-browser to access: http://192.168.0.1 (or whatever IP-address you see).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help