> The BC only has  2 Ethernet ports, when I need 4. Add y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The BC only has  2 Ethernet ports, when I need 4.

Add your own D-Link switch, and connect it to one of the 2 ports on the BlueCurve, and connect up to 5 computers to it, at Gigabit speed.

Each of the computers will obtain a "private" IP-address from the Shaw router, e.g., "10.0.0.xxx" or "192.168.yyy.zzz".

https://ca.dlink.com/-/media/global-product-images/consumer/home-networking/switches/dgs-1005g/content/new-router-diagram.jpg?h=204&la=en&w=370&hash=BE061CA88FDFDCEDE74EC48322E4CA03https://ca.dlink.com/-/media/global-product-images/consumer/home-networking/switches/dgs-1005g/content/new-router-diagram.jpg?h=204&la=en&w=370&hash=BE061CA88FDFDCEDE74EC48322E4CA03

Click here for the original diagram.

0 Kudos

I hear you, but why should I pay extra for an ethernet sw...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

I hear you, but why should I pay extra for an ethernet switch when there's other free hardware options available eg. Arris , Hitron Modem/routers?   On the same issue though, do you have to switch the modem to Bridge mode if I wanted to add an ethernet switch as you mentioned to one of the ports? 

0 Kudos

> why should I pay extra for an ethernet switch when ther...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> why should I pay extra for an ethernet switch when there's other free hardware options available eg. Arris , Hitron Modem/routers?   

Why, indeed. The insurmountable fact is that the BlueCurve has 2 Ethernet ports.

> Do I have to switch the modem to Bridge mode, if I wanted to add an ethernet switch as you mentioned to one of the ports? 

No. Your house only has one front door, but that door (or that switch) gives access to all the rooms (computers).

The Shaw router assigns unique IP-addresses to each computer connected to the switch.

0 Kudos

> why should I pay extra for an ethernet switch when ther...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

> why should I pay extra for an ethernet switch when there's other free hardware options available eg. Arris , Hitron Modem/routers?

Why, indeed. The insurmountable fact is that the BlueCurve has 2 Ethernet ports.

Lol. No thanks. Like I wrote, the other two modems: Arris and Hitron have 4 ports. I don't like throwing my money away.

> Do I have to switch the modem to Bridge mode, if I wanted to add an ethernet switch as you mentioned to one of the ports? 

No. Your house only has one front door, but that door (or that switch) gives access to all the rooms (computers).

That's not what I was told by Shaw after calling them today. I would need to bridge the Shaw modem which would then not allow any wi-fi connections only hardwired.  It wouldn't be the first time Shaw gave me the wrong info, though.

0 Kudos

I needed 6 ports, because many smart hubs require etherne...

rstra
Grand Master

I needed 6 ports, because many smart hubs require ethernet connections. You can buy them for about 12 bucks on Amazon. 

The Shaw rep was wrong, you do not bridge the modem when adding a switch.

0 Kudos

> I would need to bridge the Shaw modem which would then...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I would need to bridge the Shaw modem which would then not allow any wi-fi connections only hardwired.

A "bridged" router disables the built-in WiFi, and reduces its functionality to being a "modem" (modulator-demodulator) which accepts coaxial input, and generates Ethernet output -- like a "bridge" between two countries.

Of course, if you do "bridge" it, you can connect either your own wired-only router, or your own wired-and-wireless router, depending on your needs, and then connect up to 250 devices to your router.

> It wouldn't be the first time Shaw gave me the wrong info, though.

Yup.

If you connect your own Ethernet hub (or Ethernet switch) to a non-bridged router, you may connect multiple computers to the hub. Each computer will get a "private" IP-address from your Shaw router.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help