do the new fibre and gig packages improve streaming

benvh5960
Grasshopper

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

I wouldn’t think you would notice any improvement in stre...

rstra
Grand Master

I wouldn’t think you would notice any improvement in streaming with the new gigabit speeds, you only need 25Mbps for Netflix 4K, unless you were upgrading from a really slow package, or you had a couple dozen people trying to stream simultaneously.

Further to  point, I have gigabit and noticed little impr...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Further to @rstra point, I have gigabit and noticed little improvement over my Internet 300.
Even though I have my desktop hardwired to my modem, my steam downloads peak at about 50Mbps (6MBps)

So, unless the streaming or downloading service provides consistent speeds of say 1000Mbps, you will not notice an improvement on a singular device. 

Again based on what rstra said, gigabit will improve the overall bandwidth to your home, allowing a probably better experience across a great multitude of devices.

Fibre+ Gig provides more bandwith

rickatk
Master

@SP3CTRYS wrote: Again based on what rstra said, gigabit will improve the overall bandwidth to your home, allowing a probably better experience across a great multitude of devices.

After much digging around and testing I have concluded the same about my Fibre + Gig service. I have over twenty devices. Some are wifi music players, Wireless TV Players and Apple TV streamers. Overall I have found my network and devices to be more stable, with less episodes of minor pixelation, skips and hang ups. All of my devices are wireless. The best download speeds I get are approx 800Mbps on an iMac. My new iPhones and iPad Pro 10.5 get about 450-500 Mbps on a good day. 

Apparently this is intent of the Fibre + Gig service. Better, more stable network performance supporting more devices simultaneously. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help