Does Shaw Support many if any third party Cable modems

Not applicable

Looking to get just a standard Modem, not a modem/router combo thing, just wanted to test what is out there really.

Like all the big network brands also sell standard modems

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Re: Does Shaw Support many if any third party Cable modems

shaw-tony

Hey cloudness,

We do not support any 3rd party modems. The available equipment is listed here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Re: Does Shaw Support many if any third party Cable modems

Not applicable

Sadly no...  I've been asking for this for a long time.. 

The TPIAs that lease Shaw's have a different list of approved modems.    Best modem so far that Shaw has approved for the higher speeds is the SR808ac..  Still a gateway but a non-Puma chipset, can be bridged to become just a modem.

0 Kudos

I have more issues with the shaw modem than I think is re...

nah4
Grasshopper

I have more issues with the shaw modem than I think is reasonable I have it in bridge mode but when I look at a scan of active wifi chanels I see it's radios are still broadcasting. not to mention that it's a bottle neck in the network and randomly disconnects from the internet. This causes issues for work and is costing my lots. I would happily buy my own modem if it meant it just worked. I also do not like paying rental fees for hardware. this policy of no third party modems seem monopolistic in business practice.

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion (and gripe) fo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nah4 -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion (and gripe) forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

> its radios are still broadcasting

The older Hitron cable-modem broadcasts on a WiFi channel to offer WiFi to Freedom Mobile customers. Is that what you are seeing? Tell us what you are seeing.

it's a bottle neck in the network 

It is a "modulator/demodulator", necessarily converting whatever protocol that Shaw uses to TCP/IP protocol, and vice-versa. This does not make it a "bottle-neck". The latest cable-modem can do 2500 Mbits/second, if you can afford Shaw's monthly fees.

randomly disconnects from the internet.

Contact Shaw: 1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat to get a Shaw Agent to investigate. It could be the modem. It could be the coaxial cables in your walls. It could be the coaxial cable between your home and the nearest telephone-pole. It could be everybody on your street.

> this causes issues for work and is costing my lots. 

Costing lots -- are you a real-estate developer?

I also do not like paying rental fees for hardware.

I do not like paying "rental" fees for beer, nor for "alternating current".

> this policy of no third party modems seem monopolistic in business practice.

It is. But, it is easier/cheaper for Shaw to support a very-few cable-modems, rather than any "third-world" knock-off.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help