Ethernet issues (Network adapter MAC IDs)

jameshudds
Grasshopper

I have been having connectivity issues with my Desktop and two laptops. I have a Hitorn Modem (bridge mode) Use an Apple Airport Extreme as my main router. For the longest time I have had no issues with connectivity. Of late I am not able to connect to the web via wired connections. Ethernet connected to Hitron via a Dlink Switch. 

I have looked far and wide and followed all the advice and instructions. resetting  the modem, flush the DNS and reset the network configurations. etc etc to no avail. However I chanced upon a advice that asked me to change the MAC ids of the desktop and laptops and on doing so I am able to access the web. however I have to constantly change the MAC IDs everytime I  logon. This is becoming a pain. I cannot find the advice page anymore but do recall that it mentioned to ask the ISP to reset something. Any help is appreciated. TIA.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Ethernet issues (Network adapter MAC IDs)

shaw-tony

Hey jameshudds,

Does this only happen with the ethernet connections from your PCs to the switch or is this affecting the ethernet connections on the router as well? What happens when you bypass the switch or router and plug direct to the modem, do you get access? Keep me posted.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

jameshudds
Grasshopper

Hey Tony

Thanks for getting back. Yes tried that too but no luck. I even changed the Ethernet cables and even changed the switch to no avail. 

The Wifi works well apart from rebooting the modem router every now and then no issues with wifi. I have tried resetting the modem already but the problem persists. 

Thanks again. For your help 

0 Kudos

shaw-don

Hey jameshudds

One thing you can try is resetting your network adapter and see if any change https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1037. One thing I also noticed, is your modem is not currently set up in bridge mode, which it would need to be to work correctly with a 3rd party router, and could possibly be part of the problem. Not sure how or when that may have changed, but we can take care of that for you if you like, just let us know. When can then see if the problem resolves itself or if it continues. ^LD

0 Kudos

jameshudds
Grasshopper

I had already done that but I tried it again as per your advice but the issue still persists. 

Yes now that you mentioned it. It was initially in bridge mode but then I was having issues accessing my security cameras remotely so was advised to unbridge it. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos

shaw-don

Not sure why the modem would need to be unbridged for connecting security cameras. How are they connecting, to your Shaw wireless network or your 3rd party router? 

0 Kudos

jameshudds
Grasshopper

The cameras are connected through a Dlink Switch to the Hitron. I use my 3rd party router solely for wifi purposes.  I also have Control 4 automation connected via the switch. Everything else works fine except the PCs. 

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

since the modem is unbridged, the switch will not work properly. Your current set up is the modem router is active + airport extreme (assuming IP Passthrough is enabled for it) + D-link switch (this will not work as the router is active, not providing a dynamic IP, just a WiFi IP address). 

My only suggestion is to remove and bypass the D-link switch and plug directly to the modem (since it is unbridged, the 3 ports are active).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help