Existing Email Accounts under Rogers Ownership

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, with the Rogers purchase in process and apparently likely taking effect in early 2022, what will happen to our Shaw email addresses?

I know for many friends and me, this has been a reason why we continue with Shaw and are hesitant to switch to Telus, for internet. The fear of losing an email address we have had since Shaw came here, with the Rogers swap.

Maybe this will push others including myself, to start thinking about a switch at least for internet, as the address will likely be gone/changed soon, anyways.

Labels (1)
47 Replies

-- what will happen to our Shaw email addresses? Good que...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sith -- what will happen to our Shaw email addresses?

Good question. Given that the merger was announced just a week ago, all the "corporate lawyers" have done what they do, namely to sign & countersign all the official documents. The lawyers probably are not experts in "technical" details, which means that none of their paperwork includes any "technical" details about E-mail IDs, and which retail-stores in which cities will be closed/merged, and which employees of Shaw will get a "golden-handshake" to "go away".  There's a lot for Rogers/Shaw to work out, in 2022 -- probably not this year (2021).

>  the address will likely be gone/changed soon, anyways.

It depends on your definition of "soon".  🙂

Soon, in our children's lifetime, global warming will melt all the glaciers. Soon, I will click "reply". Soon. 3-2-1-now.

0 Kudos

Over the last several months, well before the announcemen...

Spatch
Grasshopper

Over the last several months, well before the announcement of this merger, I’ve been methodically restructuring most of my online accounts to a hotmail account I’ve had for years.  In view of this possible merger I’m glad I’ve done that.  Honestly I’d be surprised if Rogers deep sixes the dot Shaw domain, at least right away, but what do I know.  Now I only hope Microsoft doesn’t retire its legacy Hotmail domain.  😆 

-- I only hope Microsoft doesn’t retire its legacy Hotmai...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Spatch -- I only hope Microsoft doesn’t retire its legacy Hotmail domain

There is only a short list of companies that are big-enough to "Borg" Microsoft: Oracle? SpaceX? BitCoin? the Chinese Government? Oil-rich Norway? Warren Buffett? Jimmy Pattison?    🙂

0 Kudos

I stopped using my @Shaw email address years ago in favou...

rickatk
Master

@Sith wrote:

Hi there, with the Rogers purchase in process and apparently likely taking effect in early 2022, what will happen to our Shaw email addresses?

I know for many friends and me, this has been a reason why we continue with Shaw and are hesitant to switch to Telus, for internet. The fear of losing an email address we have had since Shaw came here, with the Rogers swap.

Maybe this will push others including myself, to start thinking about a switch at least for internet, as the address will likely be gone/changed soon, anyways.

I stopped using my @shaw email address years ago in favour of @mac.com. The wisdom of the day was to avoid using the isp providers email addresses because people tend to move between providers chasing better rates. While I never changed providers I did find the Shaw email system was pretty archaic compared to Apple, Google and most imap offerings. Any Shaw emails I do get are forwarded to my @mac address.  This is the approach I will continue with if Rogers absorbs Shaw. 

I am surprised Hotmail is still around and Microsoft hasn’t merged email accounts with Outlook. 

0 Kudos

— LOL 😆  — I thought the @hotmail domain was a legacy pr...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@mdk — LOL 😆 

@rickatk— I thought the @hotmail domain was a legacy product and you couldn’t create a new one anymore, that MS had moved to @outlook.  Out of curiosity I went to the Microsoft site and went into email account creation and, lo and behold, I can select either @outlook or @hotmail.  It’s not a legacy product as I’d thought.  So that gives me much comfort that they’re probably not going to do away with the hotmail domain any time soon.  😀

0 Kudos

Apple is doing the same thing: @mac.com, @me.com,@icloud....

rickatk
Master

@Spatch Apple is doing the same thing: @mac.com, @me.com,@icloud.com. Guess it is not that hard to keep legacy email addresses going.

0 Kudos

I spoke to someone in the complaints resolution part of S...

hhughes
Grasshopper

I spoke to someone in the complaints resolution part of Shaw and was told that Rogers does not work with email accounts and that the shaw email accounts will be shut down after the purchase. I asked when and was told that the purchase should be complete by September. I am even more disappointed that it has not been made public knowledge.

0 Kudos

I wouldn’t believe that at all.

rstra
Grand Master

@hhughes 

I wouldn’t believe that at all. 

Shaw email to Rogers help. CFAX Techtalk was saying...

tc10
Grasshopper

Do you have any updates on this. CFAX TechTalk was saying yesterday to expect to see changes happen for June 1, 2022.

I have about 70-100 log-in accounts with stores, banks, credit cards, legal, suppliers, tech, utilities, govts, medical, etc. that will need to be changed/updated. Some will require phone calls.

At five minutes per update this will take hours which I don’t readily have available. Businesses will probably need even more time to update and coordinate changes to their websites, customers, accounts correspondence, stationary to just name a few things.

I have 5 shaw emails to change  over and also save email backup and sort out how to access old emails  

This is not just a simple change. 

we have heard nothing from Shaw in our monthly billing to give customers a heads up on the impact whether we move to Yahoo or to some other email service this is a huge change and many may not even know how to start. 

there will definitely need to be time when both the old  Shaw email system in new email system are available to accommodate transition. 

when people do hear about this, especially elderly, there will be a lot of stress. Maybe not required, but without any information definitely stress. 

for example, how will Rogers/Shaw help me to access my old Shaw  email? Or will they tell me that I just have to delete it and start again?

TALK TO US
We're here to help