Explain to Support how to change email!

whomever
Grasshopper

ISSUE:

I wanted to set up another real email address. I err'ed in the spelling. I deleted it, not allowed, so contacted 'support' - the last place I'd go. After the fellow tried for 45 minutes, then his supervisor tried, I was told to wait. The fellow set a time 6 - 6:30 PM PST to call me back the next day - his idea to confirm it was deleted.

I waited until 8:30 and gave up waiting. I'm not tethered to a spy so just have a landline.

A week later, today, I navigated the latest changes to the kewl new locations of accessing ones account, getting to email and it was gone. Thanks for the heads up guys!

PROCESS: ( I will similar but not exact user email name as example)

1. At the email addresses information/edit page I had problems, so called Shaw. Long after the "45 minutes" for call back, the lady I spoke said she would correct it for me. "dystopian" plus personal information (required) and clicked submit.
  2. a day or 2 later, I realized I misspelled the user @shaw name. I could not delete "dystopyan" so called in. 1.4 hours later, a callback and I worked through it. She said she deleted it. I gave her the correct spelling "distopian". Done.
  3. I checked and it was still "distopyan". I called again. The fellow was not going to give me his location. For 45 minutes he, then his "supervisor" tried to delete it and in the end, told me he would call me back the next day between 6 and 6:30 PM PST. I'm not tethered to a machine so only have landline. No one called. Line was free the whole time.

I checked today, and it was gone. I tried to enter the correct version "dystopian" but it said it was taken. I thought OK, try one that was accepted but not showing, I wonder ... so I typed that in, and it too was taken - - BY ME but was deleted a week ago. 

A very long wait and Shaw finally answered today and said she could see it on my list, but I can't. She said  I probably can't see it because it is taken, by me. So, where in hades is it????

This post may or may not make it because I get BIG red banner saying "Authentication failed. garbage. Nothing sees to work any more at Shaw except billing. It NEVER goes down.

Must be nice being monopoly.

p.s. This *A.I. keeps saying "Correct the highlighted errors and try again". NOTHING is highlighted, there is no additional code added by me, and I'm NOT blocking the Stalkers. I'm willing to start a Go Fund Me to raise money to train the people koding this easy to operate Forum.

* Artificial Idiot

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Why don't you go into My Shaw>email>manage email and fix...

rickatk
Master

Why don't you go into My Shaw>email>manage email and fix er up. You get 10 email accounts I believe. BTW: Chat support is the preferred way to contact Shaw these days. Much less waiting time. 

Good luck.

0 Kudos

-- it is possible that Shaw has a "grace-period" after on...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- it is possible that Shaw has a "grace-period" after one (accidentally?) deletes an E-mail ID, to give one a "time-limited" opportunity to recreate the ID, without somebody else "squatting" on that ID -- thus "hijacking" it away from you.

0 Kudos

Hi @rickatk , @rickatk wrote: Why don't you go into My Sh...

whomever
Grasshopper

Hi @rickatk ,

@rickatk wrote:
Why don't you go into My Shaw>email>manage email and fix er up. You get 10 email accounts I believe.

I guess I'll have to show quoting you ends here

My reply begins here-----

Yes, as a Shaw customer for 25+ years, I know how it works. Not everyone that chats or phones Shaw just got their first digital device. In my post, I thought it was clear what happened. A better example would be "fayl@shaw.ca" instead of "fail" Being as it sucked up the last available email 10/10, it was deleted by the tech in the Pacific somewhere. But said it would take 12 - 24 hours to get removed as it wouldn't delete for him. I think it was he who entered "fail" for me. The next day, I checked and "fayl" was gone but no "fail" - he didn't correct it.

When I tried "fail", it said it was unavailable. So, to test my theory that Shaw will accept anything, and as soon as it is deleted, it remains forever "Not available". So I re-entered "fayl" too and it was "Not available". *"fail" and "fayl" are just examples.

Test it yourself. Go in, put in a complex most likely unused name@. If it accepts it, delete it. Wait 24, 48 or 1000 hours and reenter it again. and you'll get "Not available. We must consider that me@ may have been used by someone for years. Then the user might die, or move to 'that other' monopoly - whatever, and their account is deleted. That me@ may have been a glutton for spam, used to login somewhere illegal, subscribed to a great many groupons, Social Media  notifications and more rubbish and such -stuff- and the new user, if the name we allowed to be re-used, ends up in cowpie-hades. I get that. And that is why it's not available. But a created name, deleted in minutes, should have a grace period. "fayl" - delete re-enter "fayl" is instantly not available - not even days later. 

@rickatk wrote:
BTW: Chat support is the preferred way to contact Shaw these days. Much less waiting time. 
Quote ends here----

My response starts here:-------

SIDEBAR:
Yes Shaw prefers it because they need only pay one person who can chat with several customers at the same time, moving between each one, multi--tasking while the others sit and stare at a blinking cursor wondering if the agent went home, passed out, or is alive.  Plus studies have shown that such multi-tasking is riddled with mistakes and misunderstandings and takes longer to communicate than talking. The Shaw Chatters are not to blame. They are only human.

Chat might work for "how do I turn my modem on" but many times, the issue is too convoluted to get it all in via Twitter-style of miscommunication.

Too, One cannot just get to Chat as intimated. *A.I. intercepts us pretending to be chat, but isn't. We have to play a word game that will get us to a human.   I NEVER talk to inanimate objects - Shaw won't get me started. Here, in this Forum, I am communicating with a human. Chat however, forces us to communicate with the 1s and 0s behind that curtain. 
Once one learns how to get by the ridiculous suggestions the A.I. has coughed up, do we get to wait to Chat with real humans. Shaw needs to realize our lives do not orbit Shaw. The faster we can get things fixed and out of the way, the better for Shaw and the customer. I left a Chat window open once, after support introduced themselves, and I waited. After 61 minutes, I closed the window and wrote out some new cuss words I invented., calmed down, and called Shaw whose other A.I. iterated that I could get a call-back within 35 to 45 minutes. I waited 1.15 hours. But I was able to get in a shower and make a bucket of coffee. One does NOT have to sit in front of their screen watching a blinking cursor for a indeterminate amount of time - while we could just answer the A.I. calling and then wait. 

Remember last year during the sale to upgrade and save the $1.00 M/o increase? “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

When I have a person on the phone, we can communicate 3-5 times faster than typing, waiting.... waiting.... waiting... and wondering if we should call a ambulance for them. Plus, I don't have to dodge binary blathering to get to real chat with a voice that moves faster than a hiccup.

Chat being faster to "connect" is close to true, once getting by the A.I.  But "close" only matters with horseshoes and grenades.

One could use the same misinformation, and be closer to the fact by saying Phone is faster to connect than Chat" because I only need to dial in 14 digits and within 3 - 4 seconds, I'm connected. Yes, I'll have to wait for the ads to get by and button pressing, but it's still faster than Chat, by a mile.

~w~

*A.I. Artificial Idiot

SHAW: If you're around, allow us more time to prepare a post so it doesn't run a wrong error code and we can only edit afterwards.

0 Kudos

Apparently not. Once deleted, it is forever plus 1000 yea...

whomever
Grasshopper

@mdk 

@mdk wrote:

@whomever -- it is possible that Shaw has a "grace-period" after one (accidentally?) deletes an E-mail ID, to give one a "time-limited" opportunity to recreate the ID, without somebody else "squatting" on that ID -- thus "hijacking" it away from you.

Apparently not. Once deleted, it is forever plus 1000 years "Not available". I tests that using a convoluted name@ and deleted it. Then re-entered, and it was unavailable. Waited 1 day, still gone, and 3rd day still "not available. It kind of, sort of, makes some sense because, as I said to @rickatk , 

"We must consider that me@ may have been used by someone for years. Then the user might die, or move to 'that other' monopoly - whatever, and their account is deleted. That me@ may have been a glutton for spam, used to login somewhere illegal, subscribed to a great many groupons, Social Media  notifications and more rubbish and such -stuff- and the new user, if the name we allowed to be re-used, ends up in cowpie-hades. I get that. And that is why it's not available. But a created name, deleted in minutes, should have a grace period. "fayl" - delete re-enter "fayl" is instantly not available - not even days later. "

But within seconds, of create then delete, it should be available but isn't. I guess that's life in the typo world of IoTs.

Tnx anway,

~w~

0 Kudos

-- Once deleted, it is forever plus 1000 years "Not avail...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- Once deleted, it is forever plus 1000 years "Not available"

My experience with "reviving" an ID was quite different. It was less than 3 months (from April 2020) after the deletion of a Shaw E-mail ID (and the whole Shaw account) before I could create the same E-mail ID under my Shaw account.

Hmm.  Shaw's policies, like their offerings and their prices, do change over time. For example, I did not expect to see 1500 Mbits/second downloads at such a reasonable price -- much less than "fractional T1" used to cost.

0 Kudos

I ran into this problem when transferring my phone

rickatk
Master

I ran into this problem when transferring my favourite landline phone number of many decades. The agent made a keying error that resulted in losing the number for at least a month or two. I wasn’t interested in getting ping a new number just to change it back in a couple months. So the family has a new phone numbers for the spam and CRA to come to. Similarly, my hub provider let my email go leaving to me to create a new one which is less desirable and more confusing. At any rate this is how things go sometimes. I have found that rather than getting upset and losing a lot of sleep over small stuff, roll with it, figure out a new email or login ID favourite and move on.

I believe in the “my account” email section you can set up 10 accounts. Plenty of opportunity to pick a suitable address.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help