Extremely Poor Speed

brettlybbert
Grasshopper

My internet speed has never been great 100Mbs on a 300Mbs plan. Last week it slowed down to less than 1Mbs and often no connection at all. The technician came and said the problem was noise on the line. My wires are fine and the problem was with the pedestal in the alley and he couldn't do anything. So it's been over a week without usable internet. I called and they can't tell me when it will be fixed. I don't want to switch providers but we need reliable internet for work and school.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Call and book another service call, the original tech sho...

rstra
Grand Master

@brettlybbert Call and book another service call, the original tech should have booked a referral. 

0 Kudos

-- if it is not problem with Shaw's infrastructure, check...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brettlybbert -- if it is not problem with Shaw's infrastructure, check that the Ethernet cable between your cable-modem and your computer has printing along the length of the cable that states "CAT 5e" (up to 1000 Mbps), not "CAT 5" (which is limited to your reported speed: 100 Mbps).

Also, try connecting the power-cord from the Shaw cable-modem, for one minute, and then reconnecting it, and letting it reboot. Measure.

Do you have a WiFi-capable notebook computer? What download speed does it attain?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help