Fibre to the home in Edmonton?

themanofsilver
Grasshopper

Hi there. I know that Rogers is working on rolling out fibre to the home. Is there any word on when we might expect to see the rollout come to Edmonton?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- I doubt that any employee of Rogers will reveal "compa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@themanofsilver -- I doubt that any employee of Rogers will reveal "company secrets" in this discussion forum.

If you cannot find any relevant "news" or "announcements" on their web-site, and if your call to them (1-888-472-2222) is met by "I do not know" or "that is something that exceeds my training", you'll just have to keep monitoring.

Do your Ethernet-using computers have faster-than-10/100/1000 network adapters?

Are those computers capable to handling faster-than-1000 traffic, e.g., SSD disk-drives & multiple CPUs?

At least one of the Rogers cable-modems is capable of up to 2000 Mbps, so that you can get simultaneous 1000 Mbps to two computers, without upgrading your computers, or getting FIber-To-The-Home.

So, what additional speed will Fiber-To-The-Home possibly get you, and how much per month can you afford for such ultra-fast service ? ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos

Definitely not expecting anyone to reveal trade secrets o...

themanofsilver
Grasshopper

Definitely not expecting anyone to reveal trade secrets or anything, but Shaw has been piloting (and posting) about FTTH deployment for years, and Rogers has openly posted about their ongoing work in this area -- I was more hoping to know if any activity is currently underway or immediately planned that they are able to share.

For your other questions, the only current benefits I would anticipate from FTTH would be symmetrical upload speeds which can improve call quality for Zoom, FaceTime, etc., and also greater bandwidth overall when there are multiple users (e.g. two kids both gaming or streaming while an adult is also watching TV, which now is streaming using IPTV technology rather than direct cable to Shaw/Rogers box). It would also be nice to know that we're future-proofing as more 4K content becomes available for streaming and computers get updated with Wifi 7 and other advanced networking capable of handling and maintaining faster speeds even with multiple users in the household.

0 Kudos

wrote: upload speeds which can improve call quality for Z...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@themanofsilver wrote: upload speeds which can improve call quality for Zoom, FaceTime, etc., 

For most of their "Internet plans", Shaw/Rogers offers 100 Mbps (or better) speed for "uploads" (transmitting audio & video from your computer).

In my experience, those apps use less than 5 Mbps for their "uploads", which should give you good quality.

To repeat, how much do you want to pay per month to run FTTH at its full capacity?

Finally, your current computers & devices max-out at sending/receiving at 1000 Mbps, even when FTTH could offer higher-possible speeds.  Yes, FTTH can handle multiple simultaneous 1000 Mbps users within your home. 

0 Kudos