Gateway Wi-Fi Woes

kenohrn
Grasshopper

We have a BlueCurve Gateway and 3 pods.

Twice in the last week, we've had wi-fi become very slow (0.13 Mb download), or else off the air.  

It's the same whether connected (via Dell laptop or MS Surface) to Gateway or any pod via wi-fi. Ethernet is unaffected. 

In both cases, it was cured by rebooting the Gateway.

Is this a failing Gateway?

Labels (2)
4 Replies

-- Is this a failing Gateway? Maybe, but probably not. Ma...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kenohrn -- Is this a failing Gateway?

Maybe, but probably not. Maybe, somebody "new" in your neighbourhood added a WiFi device that caused interference on the channel that WiFi adapter in the Gateway was using. Restarting the Gateway might have caused it to notice the interference, and to choose a different channel -- one with less interference. Of course, unless you know/remember what channel the Gateway was using, and you now determine what channel the Gateway is now using, you'll never know for sure.

Do you remember if the "signal-strength" indicators on the Dell and the Surface showed the full number of "bars" of WiFi strength?

0 Kudos

Hi:   Thanks for your response.   Do I understand this co...

kenohrn
Grasshopper
Hi:

Thanks for your response.

Do I understand this correctly?  If a new device out there starts up and interferes, the Gateway when re-started looks for a less-crowded channel?

And a new device that interferes would knock out both 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels?  Recall that the Pods use both interchangeably. 

I don't have any idea about the channels in use -- before or after the re-start. 

The Dell and the Surface both showed max bars until the slowdown, when they would change to low or no bars or the "world" symbol.

0 Kudos

I recently began to have problems with the pods, tried re...

rstra
Grand Master

I recently began to have problems with the pods, tried relocating and rebooting, nothing seemed to help. I ended up returning them and bought a single mesh extender from Netgear. Maybe Shaw pushed out some firmware that caused some problems, I don’t have anyone nearby to cause interference. 

0 Kudos

-- I don't have any idea about the channels in use -- bef...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kenohrn -- I don't have any idea about the channels in use -- before or after the re-start.

Note that "2.4 Ghz" and "5 Ghz" are frequency-bands -- a range of wave-lengths.

Within each band, there are channels.

If you logon to the web-server inside your cable-modem, you should be able to see something like:

Capture.JPG

Notice the "auto" setting for the channel for each one -- it "automatically" selects the "best" channels.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help