Gmail/Shaw email wires crossed?

wotisthis
Grasshopper

Why would a gmail username appear in the "TO:" line, when someone replies to mail I sent them using my Shaw email account and address?  This has recently happened several times intermittently and I'm mystified.  If I send email via Shaw, any reply that comes back should always identify me by my Shaw username, n'est-ce pas?

Confusing matters further for the folks I contacted who saw this odd username when they replied, this particular gmail account actually uses a pseudonym, not my real name. 

So how can I get this gmail name out of my Shaw account info, so that all replies identify me properly?        

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Gmail/Shaw email wires crossed?

shaw-tony

Hey wotisthis,

Thank you for reaching out! It is possible for that to happen if you have multiple email addresses set up on your device or email client. Do you notice the same issue when you are sending emails out through the browser version of Webmail?

Let me know how it goes,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

wotisthis
Grasshopper

Hi Tony.  This hasn't happened before when using Shaw webmail (though I haven't connected to webmail since this occurrence).  I do have three gmail accounts for different purposes.

The first time it happened went like this:  I sent a friend an email from my home computer (not via webmail) and he replied the following day, with my normal Shaw email address appearing in the header of the reply.  I replied the same day to his note, and his reply to that showed my gmail address in the header.  So it was just a normal chain of emails, but something changed for his last reply to me.

As might be expected, I later found that a group email from one of HIS friends (which included me in the group) also came in with the gmail identity.

I could delete this gmail account (it's one I seldom use anyway), but I don't think that would be a fix.  

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

wotisthis hmm, I would recommend checking your emails through the browser version of Webmail to see if the header is showing any oddities (Gmail address). If it does not show up there, then it is likely a default email header selection with your email client (Microsoft Outlook, Mac Mail, etc). Deleting the Gmail account may or may not fix the issue. Can you tell me what email client you are using so I can see if there are some steps available to check or change your default email? 

0 Kudos

wotisthis
Grasshopper

Hi again Tony.  I checked those same received emails through Webmail using Google Chrome, and the gmail headers did not show up.  So in Webmail, only my usual Shaw email address appeared in the 'TO:' lines.  But when I look at those same emails in my usual email client (Microsoft Outlook 2007), the gmail address shows in the header.  Hope this helps to find a solution.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

wotisthis ah, I believe that is a setting in Microsoft Outlook 2007 on which email addresses show up if you have multiple ones set up. You may have changed a default one. I believe you can toggle between them with the steps below:

1). In Outlook 2007, please click Tools > Account Settings. See screenshot:

2) In the Account Settings dialog box, please select an email account which you want to set as the default account, and then click Set as Default under E-mail tab.

3) Then click Close button in the Account Settings dialog box to close it. And the specified account has been set as the default account in your Outlook

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help