Tech came out on Saturday and removed filters previously...

danny2516
Grasshopper

Tech came out on Saturday and removed filters previously installed, checked everything including outside from house to the coaxial node. The cable had a new connector end put on a couple of years ago at the node and spotted that. 

He confirmed that the coaxial comes straight from the node to the modem. No splitters, no wall outlets. Direct.

We done several tests on ookla and shaw. Signal was strong. As previously stated the first couple of tests revealed the speed hit in 500 range. Then tapered off quickly back down to 250-300. He stated he needed to get in contact with one of the higher techs that deals with slow speeds. He mentioned it has something to do account wise. I did mention that my payments were on time every month. Never missed one. And he mentioned it wasn't to do with payments 

0 Kudos

I have heard of provisioning problems with the new speeds...

rstra
Grand Master

I have heard of provisioning problems with the new speeds, maybe that is what the technician was referring to?

0 Kudos

-- He confirmed that the coaxial comes straight from the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danny2516 -- He confirmed that the coaxial comes straight from the node to the modem. No splitters, no wall outlets.

So, Shaw Internet is the ONLY service that you have? No Shaw PVR (connected via coaxial-cable)? No Shaw Phone (also connected via coaxial cable) ?

If you really do have a Shaw PVR device, disconnect the coaxial cable from the device, and connect that cable to your cable-modem, and rerun the Shaw Speed Test.

If you really do have a Shaw Phone device, disconnect the coaxial cable from the device, and connect that cable to your cable-modem, and rerun the Shaw Speed Test.

Tell us the results.

0 Kudos

I've been using shaw for about 4 years now, I'd hate to t...

danny2516
Grasshopper

I've been using shaw for about 4 years now, I'd hate to think of me as a "new" customer.

0 Kudos

Nope, no PVR , no home phone. Just internet. As I said ou...

danny2516
Grasshopper

Nope, no PVR , no home phone. Just internet. As I said outside coaxial straight to modem and that's it.

Cable TV is a complete waste of money in my opinion and my household agrees 100%. Stopped watching it years ago, haven't missed it since.

0 Kudos

> outside coaxial straight to modem and that's it. Usuall...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> outside coaxial straight to modem and that's it.

Usually, there is one coaxial cable from the nearest telephone-pole into the Shaw "demarcation-box" on the outside of your house, and either a female-female coaxial adapter to attach that "outside cable" with the coaxial-cable "inside" your house.

Or, there is one coaxial cable from the nearest telephone-pole into the Shaw "demarcation-box" on the outside of your house, and then a coaxial-splitter, e.g., either 1-input-and-2-outputs or 1-input-and-3-outputs, to connect to 2 (or 3) through your house's walls, to coaxial wall-ports.

I would find it extremely unusual for just one continuous "run" of cable to run from the telephone-pole directly to your cable-modem.  But, given that the cable you are using is poking-through the wall, directly connecting to your cable-modem, rather than being properly terminated with a wall-port, and a "patch" cable between the wall-port and your cable-modem, I must question the competence of the technician who originally wired your house for coaxial cable.

Inspect that "demarcation-box". Sometimes, you can see that there is one cable coming from the telephone-pole into the box, and MORE THAN ONE cable exiting the box, and running into your house.  Sometimes, you won't see ANY cables going out of the box -- if the house was wired for coaxial-cable as it was being built -- you'll just see the "incoming" cable.

So, are there any other coaxial-cables coming into different rooms? They may be "active" (connected to a coaxial-splitter inside that demarcation box), and you could try moving your cable-modem to one of those other ports.

Contact Shaw. They can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the "signal-strength" reaching your modem (through the coaxial-cable connected to your cable-modem).

0 Kudos

I question alot about shaw employees ,mostly techs otherw...

danny2516
Grasshopper

I question alot about shaw employees ,mostly techs otherwise I wouldn't be here. There are 2 cables that come from the telephone pole cable line extender amplifier ,1 MTS/Bell, 1 Shaw. MTS/Bell is still attached to the "demarcation-box" outside my house

The Shaw cable has bypassed the "demarcation-box" and is routed into the house before I moved in. Maybe previous owner had problems too. The line has one female to female connector on the outside of the house and one female to female on the inside then direct to modem.

0 Kudos

And the show some of my points , I was mailed a new modem...

danny2516
Grasshopper

And the show some of my points , I was mailed a new modem which I just found out is a newer technicolor version as opposed to the Arris that I currently had. Already a difference in speed. That's 2 modems in not even 4 years

Good but could be better and time will tell if this one does the same

Before

Screenshot_20200818-091141_Speedtest.jpg

After

Screenshot_20200818-093108_Speedtest.jpg

Disregard the 142 one, picked a random server.

And a I told the tech I'd replaced the modem once already that he might need to check it again

0 Kudos

-- There are 2 cables that come from the telephone pole c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danny2516 -- There are 2 cables that come from the telephone pole cable line extender amplifier ,1 MTS/Bell, 1 Shaw. MTS/Bell is still attached to the "demarcation-box" outside my house,

I presume that the box is for MTS/Bell, not Shaw. Would the MTS/Bell cable be much thinner than the Shaw cable? If so, it might be a fibre-optic cable, instead of having 2 strands of copper wire, with 2 wires in each strand. Back in the old days, the two wires in one strand would connect to your telephones, and the two wires in the other strand would connect to your FAX machine. 🙂

> The Shaw cable has bypassed the "demarcation-box" and is routed into the house before I moved in. Maybe previous owner had problems too.

Weird to not have a Shaw demarcation box, but definitely possible. Maybe, the installation standards for the Shaw technicians were much "looser" many years ago.

> The line has one female to female connector on the outside of the house and one female to female on the inside then direct to modem.

Telephone pole <--> cable#1 <--> F-F-connector#1  <--> cable#2  <--> F-F-connector#2  <--> cable#3 <--> modem ???

This is great, because it creates several possibilities for you:

1. replace cable#3 with a different cable;
  2. replace cable#2 with a different cable;
  3. remove F-F-connector#2 and cable#3, and connect your modem directly to cable#2;
  4. remove F-F-connector#1, and connect your modem directly to cable#1;
  5. replace cable#2 and F-F-connector#2 and cable#3 by a brand-new cable;

Obviously, if the replacement cable in #1 or #2 is shorter, you will have to physically move the modem, its power-supply, and your computer, to compensate.

Similarly, in #3 and #4, you will have to physically move the modem, its power-supply, and your computer, to compensate.

In #5, you will need a much-longer cable -- movement of your modem & computer should not be necessary.

After each of the above "experiments", rerun the Shaw Speed Test, to look for improvement.

Hopefully, you will find some combination that works better, and you can stop trouble-shooting at that point. Of course, with your evidence, you can schedule a Shaw technician to visit. Currently, it is the discretion of the technician whether they want to enter your domicile, or just instruct you to "pull" a new cable through the hole-in-the-wall where your current cable is routed.

0 Kudos

-- Good but could be better  Did you do all your tests ov...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@danny2516 -- Good but could be better 

Did you do all your tests over WiFi? If so, then you are testing the maximum speed of that WiFi adapter, instead of testing through an Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help