Hardwire

Olethegoalie
Grasshopper

I live in a condo and I have Ethernet plugins in each room to hardwire devices.

when I try to hook up my PS4 it says it cannot obtain an IP address.

also tried to connect my wife’s computer and nothing happens.

I’m using a tp-link desktop switch

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Have you tried bypassing the Ethernet connections and go...

rstra
Grand Master

Have you tried bypassing the Ethernet connections and go directly to the switch to confirm that it is working properly?

Thanks for your reply, I have a tv and an Xbox running of...

Olethegoalie
Grasshopper

Thanks for your reply, I have a tv and an Xbox running off of it already, Shaw technician set them up.

0 Kudos

Ok. So you have the switch plugged in to one of the wall...

rstra
Grand Master

Ok. So you have the switch plugged in to one of the wall outlets? Have you pulled the wall plates to make sure the jacks are terminated and is their a patch panel and is everything connected at that end?

> I’m using a TP-link desktop switch. Is the TV a "smart-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I’m using a TP-link desktop switch.

Is the TV a "smart-TV", connected via Ethernet cable (or built-in WiFi) to your Shaw router, or to your TP-Link?

Or, is there a coaxial "splitter":  wall-port --> coaxial cable --> splitter --> coaxial-cable --> TV

with: ....................................................................................     splitter --> coaxial-cable --> Shaw device ?

To which device does the XBOX connect? How does it connect? WiFi? Ethernet cable?

For each Ethernet cable plugged-in to the switch, there should be a lamp beside each socket on the switch.

Is each lamp OFF? GREEN? (10/100 megabits/second) YELLOW? (1000 megabits/second)

Probably, the Ethernet cable between the TP-Link and Shaw device (Hitron? BlueCurve) should have a "yellow" lamp at each end, indicating Gigabit speed between the two devices. Correct?

Plug in her computer, start it up, and re-check the lamps on the TP-Link. What has changed?

TALK TO US
We're here to help