Having wifi connectivity issues with one specific device? Try a pinhole reset!

robpaprox
Grasshopper

I was having wifi connectivity issues with a brand new laptop from day one of having it. All of my other devices worked fine on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks of my Hitron wifi modem, so I was sure that it was a problem specifically with my laptop. It is a Microsoft Surface Book 2, and multiple times a day the wifi would go to the "connected, no internet" status. Sometimes running the Windows network troubleshooter would solve the problem, but often it wouldn't. After running through pretty much all the troubleshooting I could think of, the only action that would consistently, albeit temporarily, resolve the issue was by going into the network adapter settings, disabling the wifi adapter, then re-enabling it. The strange thing was that that sometimes when I ran the Windows network troubleshooter it would say that it was "resetting the network adapter" during its troubleshooting, but the issue was still not resolved until I went into the network adapter settings and reset it myself manually! Bizarre! Anyway, after about 3 months of this I decided to try something different: I did a pinhole reset on the Hitron wifi modem. It has now been over a week, and I have not had a single connectivity issue with my laptop! I'm guessing that there might have been some problem with the modem's wifi connection profile for the Surface Book 2. 🤷‍♂️

So, if you have a similar situation where one device is having wifi problems and you have already tried ALL the appropriate troubleshooting with that specific device, maybe try a pinhole reset on your wifi modem or router! BE AWARE: doing so will reset your SSID (network name), passwords, and all other settings to the factory defaults.

Hope this can be helpful to someone!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help