Jump to solution

High Latency Warzone

Dip3hittyo
Grasshopper

I play warzone and for the past few months I have noticed high latency. When I started playing a year ago I would consistently get between 40 - 60ms. but for the past while I get 80+ all the time. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and how they fixed this issue? I play on PC as well. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- I live in Red Deer, Alberta. That's halfway between Sh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dip3hittyo -- I live in Red Deer, Alberta.

That's halfway between Shaw's "backbone" connections in Calgary (with direct connections to Vancouver, due south to USA, Edmonton, and Winnipeg) and in Edmonton (with direct connections to Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg). 

I don't know if there is a "tap" on that Calgary-Edmonton line at Red Deer.

So, your Internet traffic crosses into the USA either on the Vancouver-to-Seattle link, or the Calgary-to-USA link, or the Winnipeg-to-USA link, and then takes more "hops" to the game-server (Northern California? Chicagoland?).

If you have the IP-address of the game-server, open a Windows command-line prompt, via the 'CMD' utility, and enter the command:

TRACERT www.xxx.yyy.zzz

to see where your traffic is "routed", and what delays there are on each "hop". Post the results here.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Jump to solution

-- do you live in a major city (Vancouver? Calgary? Edmon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dip3hittyo -- do you live in a major city (Vancouver? Calgary? Edmonton?) where the Shaw "backbone" is "nearby", or do you live in a small town, where your Internet traffic has to take a few "hops", e.g., Prince Albert to Saskatoon to Edmonton, before hitting that "backbone" ?

Your "lag" depends on each "hop" that connects your computer to a game-server in a different country, and the total end-to-end cumulative "lag", over the "shared" (Telus or Shaw or Bell) backbone network.

So, where do you live?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I live in Red Deer Alberta

Dip3hittyo
Grasshopper

@mdk I live in Red Deer Alberta. I feel like a lot of times I am being put into servers in Florida or Texas. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I live in Red Deer, Alberta. That's halfway between Sh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dip3hittyo -- I live in Red Deer, Alberta.

That's halfway between Shaw's "backbone" connections in Calgary (with direct connections to Vancouver, due south to USA, Edmonton, and Winnipeg) and in Edmonton (with direct connections to Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg). 

I don't know if there is a "tap" on that Calgary-Edmonton line at Red Deer.

So, your Internet traffic crosses into the USA either on the Vancouver-to-Seattle link, or the Calgary-to-USA link, or the Winnipeg-to-USA link, and then takes more "hops" to the game-server (Northern California? Chicagoland?).

If you have the IP-address of the game-server, open a Windows command-line prompt, via the 'CMD' utility, and enter the command:

TRACERT www.xxx.yyy.zzz

to see where your traffic is "routed", and what delays there are on each "hop". Post the results here.

Jump to solution

I will try that out. Thanks for the info.

Dip3hittyo
Grasshopper

I will try that out. Thanks for the info. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

And then what happened??????? I am actually sitting on th...

HarryTuttle
Grasshopper

And then what happened???????

I am actually sitting on the edge of my gaming chair!!!  Lol  

@Dip3hittyo   I am in Edmonton.   Regularly getting 60 - 100 ping    PS4   

I have a work vpn for a us company on a laptop which I connect via My home Wi-Fi  

does my work vpn hijack my internet routing as I typically either connect to NY Ohio Mexico or southern us  warzone lobbies.  

I find if I turn off laptop and reset router I do get better ping but anything lower than 60 should be amazing   

peace  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I have a work vpn for a us company on a laptop which...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@HarryTuttle --  I have a work vpn for a us company on a laptop which I connect via My home Wi-Fi  

does my work vpn hijack my internet routing as I typically either connect to NY Ohio Mexico or southern us  warzone lobbies.  

I would not call it "hijacking", but when the VPN is active, your cable-modem connects, over Shaw's network, and probably over a USA-based network, to the VPN-server, which I assume is in the USA. 

Use the TRACERT Windows command-line utility to show the network "path" between your cable-modem and the IP-address of the server at the "destination".  It should show an international path to the VPN-server, and then the path from the VPN-server to the destination IP-address. Post that output into this thread.

Turn off the VPN-server, and repeat the TRACERT command, to see the network "path" that does not go through the VPN-server.  Post that output into this thread.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So, what I found was that I am being connected to servers...

Dip3hittyo
Grasshopper

So, what I found was that I am being connected to servers on the east side of the country for some reason. I have a Netgear XR1000 with Dumaos and can see the location of the servers they are putting me in. With my router I can choose to block any servers with specific high pings or if they are not in a geofenced area that I set. 

Setting the router up this way has helped me stay in servers that give me lower pings. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- that is good information. I still would like to see th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Dip3hittyo -- that is good information. I still would like to see the two outputs from the TRACERT command -- one while VPN is active, and one while VPN is inactive, to see the "path" that your packets take, to reach the game-server.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So here is a few screen shots. The TRACERT cmd shows 30 h...

Dip3hittyo
Grasshopper

So here is a few screen shots. The TRACERT cmd shows 30 hops? Not sure if that correct but that seams insane.Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help