Jump to solution

Higher tier internet connections at home

randomfrequency
Grasshopper

With a large amount of the population working from home, is it possible to get a tier of service with higher upstream bandwidth, short of the business class packages?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

at this time Internet 600 is our fastest plan. I apprecia...

shaw-tony

@randomfrequency at this time Internet 600 is our fastest plan. I appreciate your feedback for higher upstream bandwidth. Only business gigabit Internet has 125 Mbps upload.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Unfortunately it sounds like the business tier plans are...

randomfrequency
Grasshopper

Unfortunately it sounds like the business tier plans are the best solution.  Kind of disappointed.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Jump to solution

at this time Internet 600 is our fastest plan. I apprecia...

shaw-tony

@randomfrequency at this time Internet 600 is our fastest plan. I appreciate your feedback for higher upstream bandwidth. Only business gigabit Internet has 125 Mbps upload.

Jump to solution

Internet 600 has "up to 20 Mbps upload" with "unlimited d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Internet 600 has "up to 20 Mbps upload" with "unlimited data transfer limit"

That will be fast-enough to send a 2 Megabyte document (such as PDF or Word or Excel) in one second. 

Jump to solution

I found this article, which is a good backgrounder to Doc...

rickatk
Master

@randomfrequency wrote:

With a large amount of the population working from home, is it possible to get a tier of service with higher upstream bandwidth, short of the business class packages?

I found this article, which is a good backgrounder to Docsis 3.1.  https://highspeedexperts.com/home-networking/what-is-docsis-and-why-does-it-matter/

Appears that greater upload speeds are possible but it is a matter of what Shaw is offering to the consumer by way of its plans. I have been a Shaw customer for a long time and have seen a steady improvement of their transfer speeds up and down over the years. No doubt that in time we will see business class performance being offered to the consumer. Probably sooner than later. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

>  I have been a Shaw customer for a long time and have s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I have been a Shaw customer for a long time and have seen a steady improvement of their transfer speeds ... over the years.

Ditto. When I started with "Internet 5", and got free upgrades to "Internet 7.5" and later to "Internet 10" and then later to "Internet 15", I did not imagine that today I would have "Internet 300".

@randomfrequency  -- what are you doing, if 20 Mbps is not fast-enough for your "residential" level of service?

Jump to solution

Awesome.  Except I'm working with artifacts in the gigaby...

randomfrequency
Grasshopper

Awesome.  Except I'm working with artifacts in the gigabyte range.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Software engineering.  You may have noticed right now a l...

randomfrequency
Grasshopper

Software engineering.  You may have noticed right now a lot of people are working from home.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Unfortunately it sounds like the business tier plans are...

randomfrequency
Grasshopper

Unfortunately it sounds like the business tier plans are the best solution.  Kind of disappointed.

Jump to solution

> You may have noticed right now a lot of people are work...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> You may have noticed right now a lot of people are working from home.

Indeed, I have a firm grasp of the obvious. 🙂

That "PureFibre" ISP offers 940 Mbps upload/download, but you may have to sign a two-year contract.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

>  I'm working with artifacts in the gigabyte range. How...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I'm working with artifacts in the gigabyte range.

How fast is the "upload" speed of the Internet connection in your business office?

If it is a Shaw connection that is capable of sending to you at a maximum of 20 Mbps, then that is the speed that you will "receive", even though your cable-modem can receive at 600 Mbps.

This assumes that no other software developer is also trying to simultaneously download from your office computers, over the same Internet connection.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help