apologies on the delay in response. I am not aware of the...

shaw-tony

@johnnyfive55 apologies on the delay in response. I am not aware of the issue you advised above, does it cause any connectivity issues?

As for the conversation, I don't have a specific reference number but you can certainly show them our conversation here.

0 Kudos

I have had two Hitron 2250 modems since upgrading from Ci...

bjcraig
Grasshopper

I have had two Hitron 2250 modems since upgrading from Cisco modem 5 or 6 months ago.   Each modem seems to last about two months, and then starts to drop and recycle through resets every few minutes. It becomes unusable.  I have managed to make it continue to work by removing any wired connections.   If all connections are wireless it stops dropping and works as it should. As soon as I attach a wired Ethernet connection it starts dropping and recycling continuously.  Unfortunately, i need wired connections for a few servers.  The only solution right now seems to be drop into the Shaw store  and replace the modem every couple of months. The Hitron modem is a very frustrating and seems to be a very unreliable product. 

> Each modem seems to last about two months ... Have you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Each modem seems to last about two months ...

Have you tried putting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) between your wall-outlet and your HITRON modem, to ensure that you get "smooth" power, with no "brown-outs" (low incoming voltage) to protect the modem.

How many devices are connected to your wall-outlet (or to a power-bar connected to the wall-outlet) ?

What is the sum of the wattage consumed by all those devices? The wattage should be labelled on each device.

I have tried it all - UPS for computers and for modem, po...

bjcraig
Grasshopper

I have tried it all - UPS for computers and for modem, power adapters with surge, plugging modem into different house circuit with no devices, Wired & Wireless, Wired only, wireless only. Right now I have every computer in its own electrical circuit.  Every once in a while I get a good stretch of time (a few days) with minimal problems, but it always starts up again. I have had days where it reboots constantly no matter what I did.   I checked this modem out with other service providers and people are having the same problem. There has to be be some sort of design flaw for these devices.  My old Shaw CISCO DPC3825 modem used in the same location and configuration never had this problem (unfortunately that modem does not support the faster Shaw offerings). 

- As soon as I attach a wired Ethernet connection it star...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bjcraig - As soon as I attach a wired Ethernet connection it starts dropping and recycling continuously. 

There is another thread on this discussion forum where a specific brand of computers Has Precisely one model with a RealTek WiFi adapter inside, that causes exactly the same "denial-of-service" failure of the cable-modem.

0 Kudos

-- have you a good neighbour who is also a customer of Sh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bjcraig -- have you a good neighbour who is also a customer of Shaw Internet? Take your cable-modem, and your portable computer, and connect it to any coaxial-cable in their home, and test to see if the problem still is present.  If so, it is the cable-modem.  While you are with that neighbour, ask them if they have been having similar problems. If so, it could be the Shaw infrastructure on the telephone-poles outside of your homes.

Have you contacted Shaw, and gotten them to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check the signal-strength reaching the modem?

My HITRON cable-modem has been "flawlessly" performing since I got it, and "Internet 300", nearly a year ago.

> Right now, I have every computer in its own electrical...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Right now, I have every computer in its own electrical circuit. 

Try the opposite -- plug "everything" into one power-bar.

If your house-wiring has "electrical grounding" problems, putting all the devices on the same "grounding" level may be helpful.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion.  That's how I started many mon...

bjcraig
Grasshopper

Thanks for the suggestion.  That's how I started many months ago, I even moved that arrangement to different circuits (power bar and devices plugged in) in multiple places in the house..Brand new house as well, so hopefully building standards and as built electrical is up-to the task.

.  Anyways, the modem was rebooting constantly this morning so I am experimenting with yet another arrangement (no wired devices, just wireless, everything surge protected on their own surge  protected power bar, took my UPS out of the loop just in case it was doing anything weird).  It's been good for a couple of hours now. I'll update this message if and when.it degrades. I'm not hopeful, but you never know!

The fact that I have spent countless hour on every possible combination with this and replaced the modem twice is a little concerning. That's why I really wonder if its some aspect of modem circuit design and testing.

The adventure continues!

0 Kudos

Thanks good idea with the neighbor. Will give it try. Yes...

bjcraig
Grasshopper

Thanks good idea with the neighbor. Will give it try. Yes to contacting shaw - a couple of times. Everything has looked good from their end with the modem and signal-strength.

0 Kudos

Breaking News -  I got a few hours of a functioning Hitro...

bjcraig
Grasshopper

Breaking News -  I got a few hours of a functioning Hitron cable model today!!!!. I have moved the config described in previous message around the house. Now I am back to the modem rebooting itself every 5 or 10 minutes.  The first two Hitron modems seemed to last for about two months each then the problem starts.    I think I need to replace every two or three months to maintain reliable performance or hope Shaw starts to use a more reliable product. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help