HORRIBLE internet

RakDawn
Grasshopper

What is the obvious problem with the internet? … Every evening for a week it’s impossible to keep a hard connection … to the point your PS keeps booting you out of online games due to ‘connection issues’, simply browsing continues to state ‘unavailable’ due to no connection.

At the point of trying out a different provider. Which provider has good solid reliable internet in Thunder Bay?

Labels (1)
6 Replies

in thunder bay, there is another provider called tbaytel

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

in thunder bay, there is another provider called tbaytel

0 Kudos

--  What is the obvious problem with the internet? Given...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RakDawn --  What is the obvious problem with the internet?

Given only the information you have provided, there is no obvious answer.

So,

1. In what city/town/province do you currently reside?
  2. what Internet sites (IP-address or Fully Qualified Domain Name) are "slow" ?
  3. have you used the Windows command-line utility "TRACERT" to trace the path & speed of Internet packets from your computer to the destination IP-addres?
  4. when you run the Shaw Speed Test, what numbers do you get, and how do the numbers compare to the speeds that your contract with Shaw is supposed to provide?
  5. have you tried #3 in daytime, and later in the same evening?

> At the point of trying out a different provider. Which provider has good solid reliable internet in Thunder Bay?

Thunder Bay has a total of 35 Internet providers.
There are 16 Cable providers, 24 DSL  providers,  9 Fiber providers, 5 Fixed Wireless providers ...

0 Kudos

wrote: my bill is going up by $7.95 (+tax) come January....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RakDawn wrote: my bill is going up by $7.95 (+tax) come January.

Are you on a Shaw two-year Value Plan that expires before January? If so, then if you do not sign-up for another Value Plan, your account will be shifted to the "month-by-month" no-contract rate, which will be higher cost.  If your Value Plan expires after January, then the noted increase will not take effect during the current Value Plan. Check the wording on that notice of the increase.

Do you live in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building)? If so, do your neighbours also have problems with their Shaw Internet? 

Yes, on each level of the MURB, there is a locked "wiring-closet", where the incoming Shaw services is distributed to all the units on your level. Your Building Manager will have the key to the door into that wiring-closet.  The wiring-closet also is a distribution-point for telephone services (Telus? Bell? TbayTel? Rogers?).

Contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222) and get the Agent to remotely logon to your cable-modem, for them to view the "signal strength" reaching it, because poor signal-strength can cause the issues that you are experiencing.

0 Kudos

Having the same issue, I'll be all alone surfing and stre...

adikajt
Grasshopper

Having the same issue, I'll be all alone surfing and streaming but then my modem gets restarted/disconnected for 5-10 minutes, it's been happening for 3 weeks now, and its getting extremely annoying. I don't even know whats going on, no maintenance notification or anything and it's honestly been getting worse.

0 Kudos

-- when you contacted Shaw/Rogers [1-888-472-2222] and as...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@adikajt -- when you contacted Shaw/Rogers [1-888-472-2222] and asked them to trouble-shoot your issue, did that solve the problem? Did they schedule a technician to do a site-visit at your home?

0 Kudos

-- do you have anything new to report?  Did you contact S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@adikajt -- do you have anything new to report?  Did you contact Shaw/Rogers support?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help