How do i change my ip? the 150mbs plan.

Not applicable

Hi. i just got the 150 mbs plan in calgary. my router is the CGNM 2250.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: How do i change my ip? the 150mbs plan.

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

If you want to change the IP-address that Shaw has provided to their cable-modem (or "combo" modem/router box),

you must realize that the IP-address was given along with a "TTL" ("Time To Live") value.

Compare to getting a grocery coupon that expires in 24 hours.

After the coupon expires, the coupon becomes invalid.

After the TTL runs-down to "zero", the privilege to use the IP-address becomes invalid.

The Shaw box tries to "renew" the lease for the IP-address, usually at the time when the original TTL has dropped to the 50% level. If the "renew" is not successful, then the "renew" is requested when the TTL has dropped, say to the 25% level.  Eventually, the "renew" is successful, and so your privilege to use the same IP-address can continue for months, by consecutive "renewals" every day.

So, in your case, you need to power-off the Shaw box, until the TTL reaches "zero".

This could take a day, or even a week, depending on the original TTL.

When the Shaw box is powered-on, a *different* IP-address *might* be assigned to the Shaw box.

If you look at the printed label on the Shaw box, there is an ID --> 'cusadmin', and a password.

With your web-browser, and that ID/password, you can "logon" to the Shaw box, and view the current IP-address, and you can view the current value of the TTL.

Also, there might be a "release" button, and a "renew" button.

If you click "release", you are forfeiting the remaining value of the TTL, forcing an "early" expiry of your privilege to use the current IP-address.

If you then click "renew", you are requesting an IP-address and a new TTL.

It's possible that the "new" IP-address will not be the same as the "forfeited" IP-address.

Or, call Shaw Technical Support.  They can remotely "manage" their box, and can force a change in your IP-address.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

mdk wrote:

If you want to change the IP-address that Shaw has provided to their cable-modem (or "combo" modem/router box),

you must realize that the IP-address was given along with a "TTL" ("Time To Live") value.

Compare to getting a grocery coupon that expires in 24 hours.

After the coupon expires, the coupon becomes invalid.

After the TTL runs-down to "zero", the privilege to use the IP-address becomes invalid.

The Shaw box tries to "renew" the lease for the IP-address, usually at the time when the original TTL has dropped to the 50% level. If the "renew" is not successful, then the "renew" is requested when the TTL has dropped, say to the 25% level.  Eventually, the "renew" is successful, and so your privilege to use the same IP-address can continue for months, by consecutive "renewals" every day.

So, in your case, you need to power-off the Shaw box, until the TTL reaches "zero".

This could take a day, or even a week, depending on the original TTL.

When the Shaw box is powered-on, a *different* IP-address *might* be assigned to the Shaw box.

If you look at the printed label on the Shaw box, there is an ID --> 'cusadmin', and a password.

With your web-browser, and that ID/password, you can "logon" to the Shaw box, and view the current IP-address, and you can view the current value of the TTL.

Also, there might be a "release" button, and a "renew" button.

If you click "release", you are forfeiting the remaining value of the TTL, forcing an "early" expiry of your privilege to use the current IP-address.

If you then click "renew", you are requesting an IP-address and a new TTL.

It's possible that the "new" IP-address will not be the same as the "forfeited" IP-address.

Or, call Shaw Technical Support.  They can remotely "manage" their box, and can force a change in your IP-address.

No, no, no....  lol  That is all bad advice.

Leaving the modem unplugged for a number of days may get a different IP, but not guaranteed..  The rest of it..   Just no..

First question..  Why do you want/need a different IP?

After that, you need to change the 'device' asking for the IP, it needs to have a different MAC address.  Change MAC address, you get a different IP.  If you are using the Shaw modem as your router, this won't work..  If you switch to Bridge-Mode or Pass-through, that will get you a different IP.  If you are already using your own router, swap it for another or use the MAC Clone feature to change the MAC address of your router.  (You will likely need to reboot the Shaw modem when doing this before you will get another IP).

0 Kudos

Not applicable

kevinds

I want to change my ip because i got ip banned from a game. the only way to get rid of this ban is to change my ip. I am using the shaw modem as my router but i have an old dlink wireless one. I dont however know how to set this connection between them up.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I really don't want to tell you how to get around a game ban..  Also don't be surprised if you get re-banned...

Easiest way is to contact Shaw to have them put your modem into bridge mode..  Hook up your D-Link router, and you'll be online with a new IP...

Strongly suggest avoiding the behaviour that got you banned though..

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help