I'd like to change an account from IMAP to POP without losing content

pvandenbosch
Grasshopper

Shaw instructions show how to create a new account in one of these modes, but not how to change over. I worry that if I delete the existing IMAP account and try to create it again as POP I'll lose access to my emails on the server. My other concern is that the existing emails will stay on the server and not download to my computer.

I realize that it's easier to access emails that stay on the server through multiple devices, but I am getting quota warnings, so I'd rather sacrifice one convenience for better control over my emails. What I'd really like to see is a compromise: keep a week's worth, or a month's, on the server, but download them once they are older than that.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

Re: I'd like to change an account from IMAP to POP without losing content

shaw-tony

Hey pvandenbosch,

As long as the emails are available on webmail, they will show up in your POP setup. There are options that you can set on your email client to keep the emails as well as on the server side within webmail. You can find those settings in the "Preferences" tab as illustrated below. You can set the incoming deleted messages to your Trash.

Hope that helps,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

pvandenbosch
Grasshopper

Thanks, Tony. 

I tried changing my Windows 10 Mail sync options to POP for incoming, but when I change that "imap.shaw.ca:993:1" to "pop.shaw.ca:995:1" my incoming would no longer download new messages.

Image 1

Also, the relevant portion of my "Preferences" tab looks like this

Image 2
0 Kudos

shaw-tony

the POP options for Incoming should be "pop.shaw.ca". I have the specific set up information here. Let me know how it goes.

I am unable to see the images you posted, you may need to use a 3rd party image hosting site. Please blank out any private information. Thanks.

0 Kudos

pvandenbosch
Grasshopper

That worked. My email client has now downloaded some 300 messages from the server and my space-usage on the server has dropped significantly. 

Many thanks, Tony!

(Don't care much for that "3rd party image hosting site" business, though. It's already complicated enough to find these forums and use them.)

0 Kudos

pvandenbosch
Grasshopper

...Alas, now my problem is that I can't create or otherwise manipulate my folders in Windows Mail. Since I can't post images, I'll quote Mail after I tried to create a top-level folder "The folder named 0 Top couldn't be created." - similar messages for other actions of that kind. Is this an artifact of the change from IMAP to POP? 

I tried doing folder manipulation in Webmail (not convenient!) and similar problems arose. I could create a folder inside an existing folder, but not a top-level folder. I can live with that, but to move anything is nearly impossible because the Move dropdown is so narrow it shows only the labels on the top-level folders - everything else is "…" .

0 Kudos

shaw-kirk
Shaw Squad

Hey, pvandenbosch

You can create a top-level folder in Webmail by using the "New" drop-down above the folder list: it defaults to "New Message", but if you click the arrow next to it, you'll see options for "Contact", "Appointment", "Folder", and a bunch of others.  Clicking on "Folder" will open a new window where you can choose a name and location for the folder, including creating as a top-level.

You can usually only do this through Webmail, as POP is mostly a 'read-only' system; it only grabs info from the server (which is absolute) and syncs it down to the client.  You can create local folders in the mail client itself (ie, folders that reside on your computer) to sort your downloaded email, but any kind of folder hierarchy needs to be created on Webmail and then synced down.  Other systems, like IMAP or Exchange, are two-way sync so any changes in Webmail sync to the client, and vice-versa.

0 Kudos

I'm having a real problem trying to import my In Box fold...

Alex17
Grasshopper

I'm having a real problem trying to import my In Box folders in Outlook Express using Gmails Import feature.

I seems to work without error messages but I see no results.

Unsure of what setting to have on my shaw account mail box.

CAn I import from imap or pop versions of my Shaw account?

Alex

0 Kudos

if your emails are available on https://webmail.shaw.ca/...

shaw-tony

@Alex17 if your emails are available on https://webmail.shaw.ca/ then you should be able to export them with the steps here. Select account to include all emails.

0 Kudos

Question:  when you change from IMAP to POP do all your e...

Stanley3
Grasshopper

Question:  when you change from IMAP to POP do all your emails already downloaded stay on your device. On other words, I am wondering if it will download everything again so I have two copies of each email that is on the server. Thanks 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help