Re: Incredibly high packet loss persists after modem swap and large amounts of troubleshooting.

mjducharme
Grasshopper

You ran WinMTR on three different computers wired into the modem? They all show >10% packet loss to the modem itself?

0 Kudos

Re: Incredibly high packet loss persists after modem swap and large amounts of troubleshooting.

Not applicable

Try putting the XB6 into bridge mode, connecting one computer with a cable and see what happens.

0 Kudos

mjducharme
Grasshopper

kevinds‌ I wouldn't expect putting the XB6 into bridge mode to do very much. His modem was swapped with a completely different model (some other modem to XB6) and the problems persisted, so it is unlikely to be a modem problem. kealmir claims the problems happen on wired and wireless, so it can't be just wireless interference. However the problem is certainly happening with the local device - unless there are separate wired or wireless problems and both are triggering packet loss, which seems unlikely.

Since most other possibilities have been ruled out, the most likely cause is something from the outside that is directly affecting the modem's ability to even handle routine requests like ping replies. It is fairly typical for people who participate in online gaming to get specifically targeted for DDoS attacks, and I'm wondering whether that might potentially be the case here. To me, that is the only thing that could explain how the problem could follow him from modem to modem, and why it happens sometimes but not others. A DDoS attack launched on the modem itself from the outside could potentially result in CPU overload of the modem and cause it to have packet loss - unless the modem shows some kind of traffic graph for the WAN port (which most do not), you would have no idea it was even happening other than the resulting CPU hit and packet loss that would result.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Yes, my line of thinking was to remove all devices except for the one testing with.  Completely removes the local network and devices from the picture.

Bridge mode would also help with that the outside attack idea as the gateway's CPU wouldn't be getting the traffic to process.

Re-reading the first post though, that fits..  This user could be doing something online that is making them a target for DDoS.

50% of the time is a lot of time with no problems.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

yes I had >10% loss when I tested on one of my laptops and my tablets speed test was ranging from 20-300 down. It's also very easy to tell when it's happening on every device in my house anyway.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

But have you tried it with 1 device connected wired directly to the modem, while at the same time turning both wireless channels off in the modem?

Are you using IP4 or IP6?

When you have these errors, can you wait 5 minutes and drop to a command prompt and type netstat /s and paste the text output here?

You could have interference on your wireless channels from nearby points, or have network collisions on your devices.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

But have you tried it with 1 device connected wired directly to the modem, while at the same time turning both wireless channels off in the modem?

Bridge mode is less clicks, and will force an IP change if it is a DDoS. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help