Jump to solution

Internet 300 very slow to ramp up to speed

dalehuhtala
Grasshopper

Switching from Teksavvy's 75 Mbps service (which also runs on Shaw's network was noticeably snappier doing every day tasks like surfing, Netflix, etc... Now running on 300 Mbps services, it slowly increases in speed when you need it (downloading a large file, streaming, etc) but it takes a few seconds to do that. In the meantime, it's running probably 10-20 Mbps with small requests. You can see that when you run Speedtest. It always starts very slowly and then speeds up as the test runs for a few seconds. I'm guessing that Shaw gives Speedtest a high priority on the network so that our tests show that we're getting the speed we're paying for...but I have to wonder how often I'm actually running at that speed - it seems like almost never.  Anybody else notice that? I suppose that's how Shaw offers a fast speed at a low price - hoping very few people ever demand it - and probably over-subscribing the available bandwidth dramatically.

clipboard_image_0.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> also runs on Shaw's network  The same network should pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> also runs on Shaw's network 

The same network should provide the same speeds. Shaw is a "reseller" of part of the [large] capacity its network to companies like TekSavvy.

Open the Windows Task Manager. Switch to the "Network" tab. Under the "View" tab, change the "Update Speed" to "fast".

Then, open the Shaw Speedtest page.

Click on its "GO" button, and immediately switch to the Task Manager window.

For me, the speed immediately hits 300 Mb/s, and stays at that speed, even while the SpeedTest's graph "ramps-up".

To me, this implies that my computer is getting the full speed at the start of the SpeedTest, and the Speedtest application is mis-reporting.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jump to solution

> also runs on Shaw's network  The same network should pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> also runs on Shaw's network 

The same network should provide the same speeds. Shaw is a "reseller" of part of the [large] capacity its network to companies like TekSavvy.

Open the Windows Task Manager. Switch to the "Network" tab. Under the "View" tab, change the "Update Speed" to "fast".

Then, open the Shaw Speedtest page.

Click on its "GO" button, and immediately switch to the Task Manager window.

For me, the speed immediately hits 300 Mb/s, and stays at that speed, even while the SpeedTest's graph "ramps-up".

To me, this implies that my computer is getting the full speed at the start of the SpeedTest, and the Speedtest application is mis-reporting.

TALK TO US
We're here to help