Internet continually disconnecting but only ethernet

chris-b
Grasshopper

Having a weird and frustrating problem, and not sure if it's my computer or not. Used MTS for years and everything was fine, switched to Shaw and everything was fine for the first couple of months. Then all of a sudden my internet started disconnecting frequently, several times an hour, typically when I'm watching videos. The weird thing is that it's only my ethernet that's affected. (I usually keep wifi turned off on my computer and just use ethernet.) When my desktop disconnects, I can still access wifi on my phone and laptop. And if I unplug the ethernet cable on my desktop and turn on wifi, then I have internet again. But if I want to use the ethernet connection, I have to run Windows Network Diagnostics. It says "The default gateway is not available" and that it "Reset the 'Ethernet' adapter' and then the problem is fixed... until the next time it disconnects a few minutes later.

Any idea what could be causing this? Before I narrowed it down to my ethernet, Shaw replaced my Hitron modem coax cable, and ethernet cable. It's a short coax cable, about 3 feet. And after I narrowed the issue down, I replaced their ethernet cable with a brand new cat6a cable. And the problem is still happening, even after everything's been replaced. No router btw, just the modem.

Where do I go from here? Is this a settings issue? Something wrong with my computer? Or some Shaw issue that could present as ethernet-only?

Labels (1)
8 Replies

--  I can still access wifi on my phone and laptop. By "p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@chris-b --  I can still access wifi on my phone and laptop.

By "phone", do you mean a telephone connected to the Shaw Phone adapter?

Or, a smart-phone, connected by WiFi to your cable-modem, i.e., not using the smart-phone's "data-over-cellular"  capability?

Is the laptop connected to the WiFi provided by your cable-modem?

Does your Ethernet-connected computer have the correct date & time & timezone ?

Since "reset the Ethernet adapter" seems to correct the problem, and your other devices are working correctly, I would suspect that your computer's network adapter is causing your issue.

My phone is a cell phone connecting via WiFi—that works f...

chris-b
Grasshopper

@mdk 

My phone is a cell phone connecting via WiFi—that works fine, even when I turn off my cell data and just use the WiFi connection. My laptop is connected via WiFi to the WiFi provided by my cable modem, and that works fine. Even my desktop computer works fine when I use the WiFi connection to my Shaw modem instead of the ethernet connection. It's only when I turn the desktop's WiFi off and use only the ethernet connection that it frequently disconnects.

Yes, the computer has the correct date/time/timezone, and this matches the settings on my Shaw modem.

This makes me suspect the issue has to do with my network adapter, if that's what you call the thing on the computer that the ethernet cable plugs into. But since it works some of the time, I don't know if the adapter is physically bad and needs to be replaced, if there's some sort of settings or jumpers on it physically that need to be reset or pushed back into place, or if it's a software/firmware issue and I can solve this with settings or drivers on the computer. I don't know much about this and any guidance is appreciated. Even though WiFi currently works, I'd rather use a hardwired ethernet connection if possible.

0 Kudos

-- I would suspect that your computer's network adapter i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@chris-b -- I would suspect that your computer's network adapter is causing your issue.

If the socket for the Ethernet cable is very close to the other sockets (USB, video, audio) on your computer, it is very likely that the Ethernet adapter is "integrated" into the motherboard.  So, the expensive option would be to replace the motherboard, while the inexpensive option would be to add-in a network-adapter card (it connects to the motherboard) and connect the Ethernet cable to its socket, i.e., ignore the original socket. 

Any local "owner/operator" computer-store can open-up your computer's case, sell you a compatible network-card, connect it, and test it. Maybe, $50 for their time/skills, and another $40 for the network-card.  Or, ask any "computer-geek" friend of yours to do the same.

0 Kudos

In my house the wifi signal is strong, but the internet s...

pandelok
Grasshopper

In my house the wifi signal is strong, but the internet signal is not. The roku can find the Wifi, but not the internet. My wife's windows machine chugs along and then boom! no internet. My iMac is wired into the router and I'm the only device that still gets internet signal. My MacBook is twenty inches from the router - has wifi, but no internet!

0 Kudos

-- I recommend that you call Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pandelok -- I recommend that you call Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222) and get Shaw to trouble-shoot, possibly to replace the cable-modem.

0 Kudos

Done that, GM. Over five hours on three separate chats, m...

pandelok
Grasshopper

Done that, GM. Over five hours on three separate chats, much of the time wasted with confirming my ID, through passwords, pins, and proofs. Two Techs came to my house, both pleasant fellows, but left with equal results. The wifi intact and running fine, the internet for about five minutes, and then off again. My cable inside my house has been rewired with the latest and greatest, and my modem has been changed out. New one same as the old, but the Tech said the old one was "overheating". So after going thru the technical stuff of registering an all that we thought we were good, until his truck was down the street and gone five minutes. Then back to the same deal.   I will call again after Christmas. Maybe somebody else in their service staff has an idea.

0 Kudos

Wifi works but ethernet only works for a little while the...

Kevin19
Grasshopper

Wifi works but ethernet only works for a little while then if you reboot the modem it works again for a little while.  Says can't find ip addresses, no internet connection. 

0 Kudos

-- how many devices do you have (or can borrow) that can...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kevin19 -- how many devices do you have (or can borrow) that can connect via Ethernet cable to the cable-modem/router?

It might be the Ethernet adapter inside your computer.  First, try a different device. Second, try a different Ethernet cable ("CAT-5E" or "CAT-6").

It might be a malfunctioning cable-modem. Contact Shaw [1-888-472-2222] and get them to trouble-shoot, and (maybe) to ship a replacement cable-modem to you.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help